History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5009 / 51°30'3"N

Longitude: -0.1281 / 0°7'41"W

OS Eastings: 530028

OS Northings: 179659

OS Grid: TQ300796

Mapcode National: GBR HJ.D4

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.QJNR

Entry Name: Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Listing Date: 1 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357063

English Heritage Legacy ID: 209883

Location: Westminster, London, SW1P

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Matthew Westminster

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 30879 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER GREAT GEORGE STREET, SW1
92/33
Royal Institution of
Chartered Surveyors
G.V. II
Institution headquarters. 1896-98 by Alfred Waterhouse with additions by his
son Paul. Warm red brick with plenty of stone dressings, slate roofs.
Waterhouse's personal version of Jacobean mixed with Flemish Renaissance and
Gothic verticality. 3 tall storeys, basement and attic, the rear hall range to
Little George Street and Parliament Square of 2 tall storeys and attic.
Symmetrical 5-window wide entrance front. Central granite columned segmental
corniced porch. Ground floor windows mullioned and transomed and framed by
panelled pilasters; very tall 1st floor mullioned windows with 2 transoms,
triple light 2nd floor windows with strapwork panelled aprons. 1st floor
stone balcony; prominent crowning cornice surmounted over centre by elaborated,
pilastered "Venetian" dormer. The east gable end enriched with stone bandings
and crowned by ornate chimney stack. The hall range is linked by 2 bays of
cross mullioned windows with gable attics and a recessed bay with lofty
mullioned-transomed stairlights, the hall with 3 tall semicircular arched
windows; quadrant south east corner.


Listing NGR: TQ3002879659

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.