History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Canon Row Police Station

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5019 / 51°30'6"N

Longitude: -0.1253 / 0°7'30"W

OS Eastings: 530219

OS Northings: 179769

OS Grid: TQ302797

Mapcode National: GBR JH.1S

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.SJ40

Entry Name: Canon Row Police Station

Listing Date: 1 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357244

English Heritage Legacy ID: 208954

Location: Westminster, London, SW1A

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

TQ 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CANNON ROW, SW1
92/22
Cannon Row Police Station

G.V. II*

Police station. 1898-1902 by J. Dixon Butler with R. Norman Shaw as
consultant, as part of the New Scotland Yard extension (1896-1906),
Victoria Embankment q.v. Granite, Portland stone and red brick, slate
roofs. Amalgam of Flemish and English Baroque sources continuing Shaw's
original New Scotland Yard theme. L plan with screen wall to courtyard.
4 storeys and attic main block with 2 storey range in parallel fronting
Cannon Row and 5 storey east wing. The main range 1 window deep and 7
windows wide. Ground and 1st floor granite faced with large rusticated
doorway under cornice and blocking course in north gable end. Segmental
arched casement windows those in upper brick and stone banded floors in
stone architraves; rusticated Venetian windows to north gable end. The
east wing has pairs of narrower segmental arched windows. Stone eaves
cornice and stone dressed gables to main block with tall coupled banded
chimney stacks. The granite masonry of north gable end ground and 1st
floors is continued at slightly lower level as the screen wall to
courtyard with pedestrian doorway and segmental stop-moulded and keyed
arch carriage entrance; 4 storeys added above in similar style to east
wing.


Listing NGR: TQ3021979769

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.