History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

41 and 43, Wardour Street W1

A Grade II Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5115 / 51°30'41"N

Longitude: -0.1324 / 0°7'56"W

OS Eastings: 529697

OS Northings: 180826

OS Grid: TQ296808

Mapcode National: GBR GD.FB

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.N8CM

Entry Name: 41 and 43, Wardour Street W1

Listing Date: 1 February 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357341

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207451

Location: Westminster, London, W1D

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Anne Soho

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 2980 NE CITY OF WESTMINSTER WARDOUR STREET, W1
71/55
1.2.74 Nos 41 and 43
G.V. II
Commercial premises. 1904-05 by H. M. Wakeley. Red brick with elaborate green
and buff stone dressings, slate roof. Free Style Jacobetban. 4 storeys and
attic. 3 windows wide. Ground floor has elaborate central doorway with mask and
consoles, the jambs with metal cartouches inscribed "Sarah Bernhardt laid the
foundation stone of this building 1905"; shop windows to left and right with
entablature-fascia above and flanking pilasters with garlanded caps and giant
brackets bearing large urns. The outer windows on upper floors are treated as
through storey canted bays with shaped dividers to casements, set back in full
height recesses with segmental pediments broken by the balconettes on large
cartouches of pedimented dormers behind. Bowed central arch to 1st floor with
cartouches on dividing columns inscribed "Established 1833" and "Rebuilt 1904";
3 segmental windows below shaped eaves cornice. G. L. C. plaque commemorating
Willy Clarkson, theatrical wigmaker, 1861-1954.
Survey of London. Vol XXXI.


Listing NGR: TQ2968880821

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.