History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former New Scotland Yard Norman Shaw South Building

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5018 / 51°30'6"N

Longitude: -0.1245 / 0°7'28"W

OS Eastings: 530273

OS Northings: 179758

OS Grid: TQ302797

Mapcode National: GBR JH.6T

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.SJK3

Entry Name: Former New Scotland Yard Norman Shaw South Building

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357349

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207392

Location: Westminster, London, SW1A

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 3079 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER VICTORIA EMBANKMENT SW1
92/26
Former New Scotland Yard
5.2.70 Norman Shaw South Building
GV II*
Metropolitan police old headquarters extension. Designed 1896-98, built 1904-
06, by Norman Shaw with R. Dixon Butler. Red brick, Portland stone banding and
dressings on granite podium, slate roof. Continuing the north building design
with same amalgam of Flemish and English Baroque sources but on a narrow site
giving stronger vertical emphasis. 4 storeys, basement and 3 tiers of attics
in a steep roof. 5-window wide Embankment front with narrow left hand pediment
gabled break, plus tourelle to right hand corner matching north building with
corresponding large elaborated pediment gable return. Plain, recessed,
mullioned-transomed casements to podium with single storey blind wings linked
by tall railings enclosing forecourt. Stone architraved windows to upper floors,
the central 2 larger with segmental pediments on 2nd floor and keystoned segmental
arches on 3rd floor. The large gable end return has obelisk finialed aedicule to
apex. Massive blind south gable end with stone banding. Lofty banded chimney
stacks. Segmental arched bridge-link, of stone banded red brick, to North Building.


Listing NGR: TQ3027379758

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.