History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Paymaster Generals Office former Paymaster Generals Office (The Parliamentary Counsel)

A Grade II* Listed Building in St James's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5054 / 51°30'19"N

Longitude: -0.1271 / 0°7'37"W

OS Eastings: 530079

OS Northings: 180156

OS Grid: TQ300801

Mapcode National: GBR HG.MJ

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.RF4B

Entry Name: Former Paymaster Generals Office former Paymaster Generals Office (The Parliamentary Counsel)

Listing Date: 5 February 1970

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357390

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207610

Location: Westminster, London, SW1A

County: London

District: City of Westminster

Electoral Ward/Division: St James's

Built-Up Area: City of Westminster

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Martin-in-the-Fields

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 3080 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER WHITEHALL SW1
83/69 (west side)
Former Paymaster
5.2.70 General's Office
(The Parliamentary
Counsel)
GV II*
Government offices. Original Paymaster General's Office building on Whitehall of
1732-33, by John Lane; north bay added 1806; rear elevation to Horse Guards Parade
is the west facade of the former No 37 Great George Street, re-erected in 1910;
major restoration-rebuilding 1965. Main building of brown brick with Portland
stone dressings, slate roof. Restrained astylar Palladian front with feature of
Gibbs surrounds. 3 storeys, 5 windows wide with 3 bay centre slightly advanced
and pedimented. Central doorway in Gibbs surround with deep keystone and voussoir
flat arch; ground floor windows also in Gibbs surrounds. Recessed glazing bar
sashes under flat gauged arched to upper floors. Stone plinth; pseudo parapet to
1st floor with 'plinth' plat band run across ground floor window - heads;
bracketed cornice and blocking course; the pediment over centre break containing
lunette attic window. 1806 north bay of 4 storeys with recessed tripartite
sashes; 1st floor plat band; cornice carried over from main block and parapet with
coping. The re-erected facade of the demolished No 37 Great George Street
(c1760-70) replaced a plain brick Horse Guards Parade front. Portland stone
ashlar. 3 storeys and basement. 5 windows wide, the end bays advanced and pedi-
mented. Recessed glazing bar sashes, those in end pavilions as Venetian windows
on each floor. 1st floor balcony to main block. Entablature over 1st floor.
Crowning cornice and blocking course between pedimented pavilions. Interior
retains drawing, now conference, room to rear on ground floor with good Palladian
details and chimney piece with pedimented overmantel flanked by bearded profile
volutes; etc.
Survey of London; vol XVI.


Listing NGR: TQ3007980156

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.