This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5085 / 51°30'30"N
Longitude: -0.0769 / 0°4'36"W
OS Eastings: 533560
OS Northings: 180598
OS Grid: TQ335805
Mapcode National: GBR VF.WD
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.MB7X
Entry Name: Chapel of St Peter Ad Vincula
Listing Date: 30 November 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357540
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206504
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, EC3N
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: St Katharine's & Wapping
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
THE TOWER OF LONDON
21/889 Chapel of St Peter-ad-
Chapel. c.1519-20, restored 1876-7 when west tower rebuilt and north-east vestry
built. Render over ragstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; lead roof. Plan
of chancel and nave with north aisle. Early Tudor style. 5-bay south elevation
has hood-moulds over 3-light Tudor-arched windows with cinquefoil-headed lights;
similar windows to north elevation; similar 5-light east window; moulded cornice
beneath parapet with moulded coping; west end has late C19 quatrefoil window over
late C19 Tudor-arched doorway and flint tower with Portland stone dressings and
late C17 wood bell cupola. 1876-7 vestry built in similar Tudor style.
Interior: 4-bay north arcade of quatrefoil-section piers with moulded plinth and
capitals to moulded Tudor-arched arcade; moulded beams to flat tie-beam roofs.
Nave has squint and round-arched piscina with sunk spandrels to west, and
octagonal font with quatrefoil panels. Memorials: sanctuary has late C19
memorial to those executed on Tower Green and C17/18 memorial slabs. Memorial of
c.1650 to children of George Payler has figures set in oval niches; memorial to
Allan Apsley, d.1630, has cartouche on segmental open-pedimented aedicule; plain
memorial tablet to Talbot Edward, d.1674; memorial tablet with bust to
General William Bridges, d.1716, with bust in aediculed surround; fine alabaster
and marble memorial of c.1620, with groups of kneelers set in classical frame, to
Sir Richard and Sir Michael Blount, in north wall of chancel; fine alabaster tomb
chest with recumbent effigies to Sir Richard Cholmondley, d.1544, and wife;
memorial to Captain Valentine Pyne, d.1677, flanked by cannon instead of columns
with relief carving of ship to base. Fine monument to John Holland, Duke of
Exeter, d.1447 (transferred from St Katherin's Chapel, Regent's Park) has tomb
chest with 3 recumbent effigies framed within fine Perpendicular canopy with
angles to spandrels and frieze, various beasts and grotesques and carved heads to
cusping. Organ by Father Schmidt, 1699, for the Banqueting Hall, Whitehall.
History: formerly a parish church of the city taken within the castle walls by
the extensions of Henry III; a rare example of an early C16 chapel.
Listing NGR: TQ3356080598
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings