This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1516 / 51°9'5"N
Longitude: 1.2677 / 1°16'3"E
OS Eastings: 628618
OS Northings: 144221
OS Grid: TR286442
Mapcode National: GBR W16.P9N
Mapcode Global: VHLH9.XBJ1
Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul
Listing Date: 22 August 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357572
English Heritage Legacy ID: 178520
Location: Temple Ewell, Dover, Kent, CT16
Civil Parish: Temple Ewell
Built-Up Area: Dover
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
TR 24 SE TEMPLE EWELL CHURCH HILL
4/81 Church of St Peter and
Parish church. C12 and extended C13. C15 tower restored 1874 by Talbot
Bury for £2,254. Flint and rubble with plain tiled roof, chancel and
north chapel, nave and north aisle, western tower, south east vestry and
north porch. Two stage tower. Tower with plinth, string course and
cornice with spirelet and weather cock. Double hollow moulded west
doorway and trecusped lancet windows. North porch rebuilt 1874 but
retains C14 hollow and roll moulded doorway, with C12 north doorway with
billet outer mould with roll mould and scalloped shafts. Separate entry
from porch to north chapel, since 1984 separately roofed from chancel.
C19 fenestration except for 1 C12 lancet in the nave. 1 C13 lancet in
the chancel and 1 C15 double window in nave. Vestry connected to chancel
by flying buttress cum chimney. Interior: heavily restored simple
chamfered arches on abaci to north aisle, chancel and north chapel.
Hollow chamfered C15 tower arch,the inner jamb restored C19, with 6 steps
up to west door, and small door high up in nave gable. Fittings all C19,
the piscina and sedile apparently reproducing original mouldings. Stone
coffin lid now in the north porch c.1300 with a templar cross in relief.
Stained glass: 4 panels each in the chancel and the north chapel, Swiss
C17 presented to the church 1852 by a Mr. Halford. Probably from
Unterwalden, Switzerland. In the chancel representations of Pharoe's
dream, Jacob and his sons, Joseph receiving his brothers and Joseph's
release from prison, all dated 1663. North chapel glass probably German,
dated 1608 to 1614, showing the Annunciation, The village of Rolfenbach
with the Virgin and child. Adoration of the Magi with the arms of the
Swiss cantons, and the flight into Egypt, more fragments in the vestry.
Crucifixion scene in east window by Martin Travers (post WW II).
(See BOE Kent VI 1983, 473-4; see also church guide 1974 T.J Vardon).
Listing NGR: TR2861144264
Other nearby listed buildings