This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3336 / 51°20'0"N
Longitude: 1.416 / 1°24'57"E
OS Eastings: 638048
OS Northings: 164927
OS Grid: TR380649
Mapcode National: GBR X0L.BSX
Mapcode Global: VHMCW.HRF1
Entry Name: Ramsgate Library
Listing Date: 4 February 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 171759
Location: Ramsgate, Thanet, Kent, CT11
Civil Parish: Ramsgate
Built-Up Area: Ramsgate
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
RAMSGATE GUILDFORD LAWN
TR 3864 NW
Library. 1904 by S.D. Adshead. Red brick with ashlar details and slate
roof, in Neo-Georgian style. Entrance front central pedimented block
on rusticated ground floor with band supporting coupled pilasters and 2
single pilasters to centre, with frieze and modillion cornice to pediment
with domed cupola on pedestal over. The edges of the central block
stripped back from the pedimented centre, with urn finials on corners.
Scalloped brackets to left and right rising from single storey wings.
Lunette shaped niche in pediment with Ramsgate's Coat of Arms, glazing
bar sashes to left and to right on first floor with moulded aprons
below, and central clock face in festooned surround with swagged panel
below and "Public Library" incised in frieze over. Two round headed
glazing bar casements on ground floor with small sidelights, and round-
headed niches in flanking wings with glazing bar sashes in moulded
surrounds with relief urns over. Central double doors of 6 recessed
and fielded panels in Doric surround, with semi-circular fanlight above
the cill band, in rusticated surround with Neptune-mask key stone.
The side elevations are apart from the treatment of the flanking blocks
to the front elevation more irregular and utilitarian. Interior: half-
glazed inner doors lead to cross-vaulted entrance hall, with stair to
right, half-landing plan with iron baluster leading to upper exhibition
floor. Main interior spaces are open to each other but separately
articulated with an arcaded area (Childrens Library), barrel vaulted
and top lit main reading room, 2 storey museum and exhibition room
with gallery, frieze and modillion cornice reached through an ornate
Neo-Georgian door and surround. The detail, of dado panels, frieze
and cornice, top lit or simply plastered ceilings, is simple but
carried throughout the building. The library was financed by Andrew
Carnegie, with the library collection transferred from Cavendish House,
in Cavendish Street, converted and endowed by J. Passmore Edwards in
1890; the subject of a competition in 1902 judged by Henry Hare, and was
Adshead's first major commission. (See Architectural History, No. 24,
1981, p 103 ff; see also Busson, Ramsgate, 128).
Listing NGR: TR3804864927
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings