This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3612 / 51°21'40"N
Longitude: -0.1942 / 0°11'39"W
OS Eastings: 525820
OS Northings: 164001
OS Grid: TQ258640
Mapcode National: GBR CL.3Q3
Mapcode Global: VHGRQ.L15W
Entry Name: Sutton Baptist Church Including the Church Hall and Number 21 (Sutton Baptist Church Sunday School)
Listing Date: 31 March 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357638
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206839
Location: Sutton, London, SM1
Electoral Ward/Division: Sutton Central
Built-Up Area: Sutton
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Sutton St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
Sutton Baptist Church
including the Church Hall
and No 21 (Sutton Baptist
Church Sunday School)
TQ 2564 16 & 31/250
1934 by Welch, Cachemaille-Day and Launder. Free Gothic style with brick walls,
reinforced concrete floors and slate-clad roofs with steel trusses. The church
has a rectangular plan with intersecting splays as buttresses at the junctions of
each bay in all external elevations. The walls rise to form a gable over centre
bays at front and rear. East, west and south elevations with windows in the form
of simplified triple lancets with simplified dagger or spandrel lights over, four
such to the west elevation including one to the choir and one to the south elevation.
Tripled lancet also to the gabled centre bay of the front elevation with paired
lancet with inset herring-bone tiling to each flanking bay. Flight of steps to
centre entrance through two pairs of glass multi-panel doors with common, reinforced
concrete flat hood over, beneath paired brick-arched semi-circular tympana with
inset pantiles in panelled strips.
Two storey and lower school wing to east (as described in 1934 plan) with plain
parapet, six two-light first floor mullioned windows with single light window at
right hand end; on ground floor, four similar windows, square-headed doorway with
two wood-panelled doors and single-light window at right hand end.
Slightly higher hall and church parlour wing (nomenclature from 1934 plan) at east
end, the front wall in similar style to the side walls of the church. Three windows
with paired lancet lights, the outer windows with "giant" or two-storey frames with
herring-bone tiling between flat-arched vestibule lights and the pointed upper lights
to church parlour. Central window above a doorway with glazed tympanum and flat
reinforced concrete hood over a pair of wood panelled doors.
See The Architect and Building News for October 5 1934.
Listing NGR: TQ2582064001
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings