History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

174 and 176, East Hill, Sw18

A Grade II* Listed Building in Fairfield, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4573 / 51°27'26"N

Longitude: -0.1881 / 0°11'17"W

OS Eastings: 525984

OS Northings: 174708

OS Grid: TQ259747

Mapcode National: GBR CC.Z4N

Mapcode Global: VHGR4.PMFN

Entry Name: 174 and 176, East Hill, Sw18

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357641

English Heritage Legacy ID: 207032

Location: Wandsworth, London, SW18

County: London

District: Wandsworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Fairfield

Built-Up Area: Wandsworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Wandsworth St Anne with St Faith

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Fulham

Listing Text

TQ 2574 EAST HILL, SW18

1207/12/10 Nos. 174 and 176

14/7/55 II*

Large house. Circa 1736, partially refenestrated in later C19. Built of stock brick with red brick dressings and slate roof in four hips to the rear. Three storeys and cellars; five windows to front elevation, six to rear. Bands between floors and deep band to parapet. Red gauged flat arches and dressings to windows, which are late C19 sashes with horns but no vertical glazing bars. Red quoins to front. Central wooden doorcase with Doric engaged columns, triglyphs and pediment. Deep fielded six-panelled door. Rear elevation retains early C18 windows to right hand part with thick glazing bars and an early C19 curved three-light bay with thinner glazing bars. The early Cl8 interior survives largely intact, including stone floor and panelling to hall, first floor principal rooms and ground floor, doors, cupboards and other fittings, moulded timber and plaster cornices, shutters and some bolection moulded fire surrounds. The upper flights of the contemporary staircase with moulded handrail and turned balusters also survive. The first known occupant recorded (in Vestry Minutes for 1772) was a William Vander Esche Esquire. In the early C19 it was used as a 'Boarding School for Young Ladies'. This is one of the earliest and the best preserved of the middling size houses of wealthy Huguenot or Dutch immigrant families who lived in Wandsworth and Putney in the early Cl8.

Listing NGR: TQ2598474708

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.