This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4705 / 51°28'13"N
Longitude: -0.1489 / 0°8'56"W
OS Eastings: 528666
OS Northings: 176244
OS Grid: TQ286762
Mapcode National: GBR BW.R0
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.C9MJ
Entry Name: Church of St Philip, Park Town Estate
Listing Date: 7 April 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357670
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207096
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Queenstown
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Lavender Hill The Ascension and Battersea St Philip with St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
PARK TOWN ESTATE SW8
Church of St Philip
TQ 2876 8/4
1869 by J T Knowles (later Sir James Knowles).
The church is of Kentish rag in early and later Middle-Pointed style. It has nave
and aisles, transepts and apsidal chancel and a low tower at the liturgical south-
west. There was to have been a tall spire.
The tower has angle buttresses with turrets and at the high bell stage lofty
The 6-bay north aisle has stepped buttresses to the piers between the windows and
a parapet above of blind arcading.
The south aisle is similar but of 4-bays only, with a gable south porch having
The south transept has angle buttresses, a 2-lancet window and a rose window above.
The north transept also has a 2-light window.
The 7-bay apsidal chancel has stepped buttresses and continues the line of the
parapet of blind arcading.
The interior is reminiscent of Gilbert Scott's work, with lavishly carved foliage
and apse with geometrical tracery. The east windows are 1954, by T D Randall of
Listing NGR: TQ2866676244
Other nearby listed buildings