This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4541 / 51°27'14"N
Longitude: -0.2425 / 0°14'33"W
OS Eastings: 522210
OS Northings: 174260
OS Grid: TQ222742
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.3K4
Mapcode Global: VHGR3.RQ53
Entry Name: Roehampton House (At Queen Mary's Hospital)
Listing Date: 23 October 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357694
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207126
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW15
Electoral Ward/Division: West Putney
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Roehampton Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
ROEHAMPTON LANE SW15
(At Queen Mary's Hospital)
TQ 27SW 3/14 23.10.78
1710-12 by Thomas Archer. Alterations to the main house and addition of advanced
north and south wings 1910-13 by Sir E Lutyens: a continuation of the Archer style
and to a plan close to Archer's original intentions. The Lutyens parts would in
themselves merit Grade II*. See Vitruvius Britannicus Vol 1 for original plan and
elevation. Three-storeys and basement. Seven-window centre block linked by
five-window quadrants to the wings.
Brown brick with fine red brick dressings. Green slated roofs.
[Centre Block: Entrance Front (West)]
Moulded brick bands between storeys. Plain brick pilasters. Brick rustications to
angles and to three-window centre projection. Main cornice below brick parapet,
except to three-window centre which has stone cornice and balustrade. Semi-
recessed windows with red gauged flat arches, dressings, projecting brick keyblocks
and shaped aprons.
Stone central feature comprising entrance flanked by Doric pilasters supporting
entablature and broken segmental pediment, and semi-circular-headed window at first
floor flanked by fluted Corinthian pilasters.
Entrance approached by 2 flights of steps with wrought iron ornamental balustrade.
One-storey quadrant brick arcades at angles of block.
Above the arcades the quadrants and wings by Lutyens. Linked to them on north and
south sides of front courtyard 2-storey seven-window pavilions with three-window
advanced centres, also by Lutyens.
[Centre Block: Garden Front (East)]
Similar to west front but with window in place of entrance door and niche in place
of window above.
[Centre Block: South Front]
Similar to west front but the stone central feature pedimented and framing a
'stable door' window on ground floor.
Good original interior features including staircase, panelling and carved woodwork.
Listing NGR: TQ2221074260
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings