This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4595 / 51°27'34"N
Longitude: -0.2155 / 0°12'55"W
OS Eastings: 524073
OS Northings: 174906
OS Grid: TQ240749
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.Y19
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.6KYZ
Entry Name: Rosslyn Tower
Listing Date: 5 July 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357696
English Heritage Legacy ID: 207131
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW15
Electoral Ward/Division: East Putney
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Putney
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
ST JOHN'S AVENUE SW15
TQ 27SW 3/4 5.7.74
Rosslyn Tower, built in the 1870's is a brick and stone building of irregular plan
covered with a series of steeply pitched and gabled roofs which, together with
chimney stacks and pots (some in Tudor style) break the top of the building into an
asymmetrical skyline which is dominated by a 4-storey tower to the rear capped by
a pointed slate roof. The basic material of the building is yellow brick with
darker yellow, blue and red brick for relieving arches, quoins and diaper pattern.
The window dressings and string courses are in stone. The main part of the house
is 2-storeys high plus an attic with gabled dormer windows and is 3-windows wide;
the left-hand part contains one window and is set forward with a gable front.
Doorway approached through a porch with gabled slate roof. All gables have highly
decorated bargeboards with timber finials at the apex. The 2 ground floor windows
are of full height the one to the left being set forward in a square stone-faced
bay to provide a balcony with decorated stone parapet to the first floor window
above. The 2 windows on the left have hoodmoulds. The right-hand windows form a
2-storey canted bay. Also to the right is a stable block with rooms over.
The front elevation is completed by a symmetrical composition of matching brick
wall and gateposts complete with machicolated and crenellated caps.
Listing NGR: TQ2407374906
Other nearby listed buildings