History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Mortlake and Barnes Common, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4695 / 51°28'10"N

Longitude: -0.2616 / 0°15'41"W

OS Eastings: 520845

OS Northings: 175941

OS Grid: TQ208759

Mapcode National: GBR 8V.4QR

Mapcode Global: VHGR3.FB29

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 25 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357705

English Heritage Legacy ID: 205454

Location: Richmond upon Thames, London, SW14

County: London

District: Richmond upon Thames

Electoral Ward/Division: Mortlake and Barnes Common

Built-Up Area: Richmond upon Thames

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Mortlake with East Sheen

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Kew Gardens

Listing Text

1.
5028 HIGH STREET
(south side)
Mortlake, SW14

Parish Church of St Mary
TQ 2075 13/3 25.10.51

II*


2.
Founded 1348 on a site to west of present church, which dates from 1543. The tower
is of that date. The building was enlarged in 1725 and 1845. The chancel is of 1885,
the nave and south aisle of 1906 by Sir A Blomfield. Vestry House, adjoining, of
1660-70 possibly with some earlier work.
Western tower has 4 stages with later cupola. Chequer work of stone and flint to
third storey. Tudor brick with stone dressings above. Polygonal stair turret to
north-east corner. North aisle of church brick. Rest now rubblestone, late C19 and
C20. Perpendicular style clerestory. Low pitched lead roof. Chancel lower than nave
Vestry House, adjoining north aisle towards west: a red brick building of 2 storeys.
Slate hipped roof. Two windows wide. Upper windows square headed, 2-light with timber
mullions and transom. One similar window to left below, but set in chanfered stone
recess with segmental relieving arch set in brickwork above. Right-hand lower window
retains 2 chanfered mullions.


Listing NGR: TQ2084575941

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.