This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5156 / 51°30'56"N
Longitude: -0.041 / 0°2'27"W
OS Eastings: 536029
OS Northings: 181445
OS Grid: TQ360814
Mapcode National: GBR K4.6C3
Mapcode Global: VHGR1.75PH
Entry Name: Mercer's Cottages
Listing Date: 27 September 1973
Last Amended: 25 September 1990
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357881
English Heritage Legacy ID: 206264
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E1
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: St Dunstan's
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Dunstan Stepney
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3681 SW WHITEHORSE ROAD E1
17/669 MERCER'S COTTAGES
II NOS 1 - 10 (consec)
Formerly listed as Lady Mico's Almshouses. Symmetrical terrace of 10
cottages. 1856 by George Smith for the mercers' Company; Nos 7-10 largely
rebuilt in facsimile following war damage. Grey/white brick with slate roofs.
Rusticated stucco quoins between houses. 2 storeys. 14 window range.
Brick porches with gauged brick flat arches to entrances and paired enriched
console brackets supporting pedimented gables; Nos 1 and 10 on returns. No 2
to 9, one porch per pair, giving illusion of four double fronted cottages.
Architraved sashes; ground floors with enriched console brackets supporting
cornices and lugged cills, 1st floors with cornices and stucco sill band,
lugged at sashes. Central 1st floor painted, stone plaque with cartouch
inscribed "The Gift of Dame/Jane Mico Relicta of/S Sam Mico Mercer dec/Built
Ano 1691" and summounted by a female bust. Beneath, a stone plague inscribed
"Rebuilt by The Worshipful Company of Mercers/AD 1856". Lady Mico, wife of
Sir Samuel Mico, Mercer and alderman, bequeathed money for the original
almshouses for widows. Taken over 1976 by the GLC for housing.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings