This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.481 / 51°28'51"N
Longitude: -0.1235 / 0°7'24"W
OS Eastings: 530399
OS Northings: 177452
OS Grid: TQ303774
Mapcode National: GBR JR.F8
Mapcode Global: VHGR5.T11H
Entry Name: Numbers 24 and 25 (The Ballroom)
Listing Date: 29 July 1977
Last Amended: 11 November 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1357945
English Heritage Legacy ID: 204629
Location: Lambeth, London, SW8
Electoral Ward/Division: Oval
Built-Up Area: Lambeth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: South Lambeth St Anne and All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 3077 REGENTS BRIDGE GARDENS
963/7/849 Nos. 24 and 25 (The Ballroom)
House, now offices and attached former library, wine vault and ballroom, now house. Circa 1810 for Beaufoy Vinegar Works. House c.1810 modified later C19, refurbished 1980's. Stock brick, stone dressings, stucco render, roof not visible. Two and three storeys, five bays, the main block of three storeys and three bays, the centre breaking forward. Flanking two storey single bays, that to right 1980's replacing original destroyed by fire, c.1940. Upper floor horned sashes with glazing bars under flat brick arches. Ground floor paired horned sashes with glazing bars in architrave with central shaft. First and second floor stone storey bands. Brick frieze, stone cornice and blocking course 1980's restoration based on the original detail. Later C19 rendered porch with pilasters at the angles, pronounced cornice and flat roof behind parapet. Pair of panelled oak doors beneath overlight under segmental arch, continuous moulded architrave. Left and right returns, window under segmental arch in continuous moulded architrave. Rear elevation articulated as the front. Interior refurbished; staircase with largely original cast iron balustrade.
Former ballroom, previously referred to as library over wine vaults, now house, attached to east. Circa 1810, gutted by fire 1941, reduced to single storey, 1980's. Stock brick, 1980's pitched roof. Single storey. Three bay north elevation, tall windows under semicircular arches, now with 1980's French windows. Brick frieze based on that formerly at upper storey. Apsidal east elevation, centre breaking forward, 1980's door, overlight and margin glazing under original elliptical arch. West elevation tall blind openings under round arches. Former ballroom included for group value.
Cherry and Pevsner, London, 2: South, 1983, p.370
Survey of London, Vol XXVI, pt.II, 1956, p. 69.
Listing NGR: TQ3039977452
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings