History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John with All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bishop's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5046 / 51°30'16"N

Longitude: -0.112 / 0°6'43"W

OS Eastings: 531133

OS Northings: 180093

OS Grid: TQ311800

Mapcode National: GBR MG.0T

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.0FNY

Entry Name: Church of St John with All Saints

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Last Amended: 27 March 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1357954

English Heritage Legacy ID: 204772

Location: Lambeth, London, SE1

County: London

District: Lambeth

Electoral Ward/Division: Bishop's

Built-Up Area: Lambeth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Waterloo St John with St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

In the entry for:-

TQ 3180,
779-0/1/1048

WATERLOO ROAD, SE1,
Church of St John with All Saints

19.10.51

GV

II*

The description shall be amended to read:-

Parish church. 1823-4 by Francis Bedford. One of four churches in Lambeth in
Greek revival style, damaged in 2nd World War, and with Festival of Britain
interior of 1951 by T. F. Ford. Body of church of stock brick with sandstone
dressings and spire and columns to portico in Portland Stone. Nave and
chancel combined with pedimented portico at west end with 3-tier tower
ending in obelisk. West front of two storeys: five bays. 1st-floor windows have
square paterae to surrounds and C20 metal panes. Ground floor has five doors
with 6-panelled doors in similar surrounds. Massive stone pediment with
frieze with eleven wreaths and six massive Portland Stone columns. Square tower
of three diminishing stages above, clock to lowest stage, round-headed louvred
bell openings in Ionic Order above with antefixae at corners, then open
Doric stage with antefixae at corners with plinth surmounted by obelisk
with ball finial and copper cross and plinth containing anthemion design
panels and antefixae. Sides continue frieze with wreaths. 1st floor has six
sashes with C20 small pane metal casements. Cambered windows to ground
floor. Deep stone plinth. C20 yellow-brick pavilions with stone pediments
attached to each side. East end has pediment with circular window. Central
tall east window flanked by two bricks. Underneath are a central rectangular
blank and two cambered windows.

Internally, of the 1823-4 phase remain the
west gallery on four Doric columns (before the war damage the gallery was on
three sides) the mahogany organ case of 1824 by J C Bishop, clock and five rows
of pews in the organ gallery. The two curved stone staircases in the west
pediment survive. The font is an elaborate C18 marble non-shaped example
with putti forming handles and gadrooned font cover. The reredos contains
remains of the original marble altarpiece. The rest of the interior was
remodelled by T. F. Ford in 1951 to form the church for the Festival of
Britain in a Neo-Georgian Style employing an anthemion motif similar to the
original interior. Ceiling of five panels with water-lily paterae. Anthemion
frieze to cornice with pilasters. Side windows have balconettes. Vestry and
S.E. chapel have curved corners and anthemion motif. two unusual 2-decker
pulpits with flat canopy and curved steps. The most striking fittings of
1951 are the altar painting (Adoration of the Shepherds) and panel over
east window (crucifixion) by Hans Fielbusch.

[See Pevsner B.O.E. South London p. 335]

------------------------------------

WATERLOO ROAD SE1
1. (east side)
5023

Church of St John with
All Saints
(formerly listed as
Church of St John the
Evangelist)
TQ 3180 1/1048 19.10.51

II* GV

2.
1823-4 by Francis Bedford. Simple Greek revival building of 2 storeys. Five-bay
front has massive pedimented Doric portico with square tower above. Clock in
lowest stage, bell-openings in Ionic order above, then an open stage crowned by
obelisk. Antefixae at all angles of tower. Main block of stock brick; tower
and entablature of sandstone; columns of Portland stone. First floor cill band
on which rest windows with small leaded glazing in simple moulded architraves.
Below these, double doors in similar architraves. Six bay returns with similar
windows above; short, segment-headed ones below.


Listing NGR: TQ3113380093

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.