History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Avenue Studios

A Grade II Listed Building in Courtfield, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4917 / 51°29'30"N

Longitude: -0.1729 / 0°10'22"W

OS Eastings: 526945

OS Northings: 178556

OS Grid: TQ269785

Mapcode National: GBR 5M.CF

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.YRHT

Entry Name: Avenue Studios

Listing Date: 7 November 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358149

English Heritage Legacy ID: 203788

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW3

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Courtfield

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Holy Trinity with St Paul, Onslow Sq and St Augustine, Sth Kensington

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shepherds Bush

Listing Text

TW 2678 NE FULHAM ROAD (OFF)
47/40 (north side)

Avenue Studios
(Sydney Mews)

II

Circa 1870. Stock brick, stucco dressings, Welsh slate roofs. The studios occupy the
sites and much of the buildings of the former Cranley Mews, laid out in 1844 to serve
the houses of Onslow Square.
Two long, irregular ranges, mostly of 2 storeys, rising by half a storey in places to
give extra studio height. The ranges are linked by a long central corridor. Some sash
windows with glazing bars, some small paned casements, mostly with segmental heads.
Walls partly stuccoed. Impressive entrance of 4-panel door with sidelights, patterned
head bands, fanlight in rusticated pedimented surround.
Listed mainly for historical reasons as the workplace of many important artists, among
them Edward Poynter, Alfred Gilbert, Philip Wilson Steer, and Joseph Boehm, successor
in Royal patronage to Baron Marocchetti, the first artist to turn part of the mews into
a studio.


Listing NGR: TQ2694578556

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.