This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4919 / 51°29'30"N
Longitude: -0.1936 / 0°11'36"W
OS Eastings: 525506
OS Northings: 178539
OS Grid: TQ255785
Mapcode National: GBR 0M.QC
Mapcode Global: VHGQY.LRJP
Entry Name: Earls Court Station
Listing Date: 7 November 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358162
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203756
Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW5
District: Kensington and Chelsea
Electoral Ward/Division: Earl's Court
Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Cuthbert Philbeach Gardens
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2578 NE EARLS COURT ROAD SW5
249/45/1 Earls Court Station
Underground station. Facade to Earl's Court Road 1906, by Harry W Ford. Train shed 1878 by John Wolfe Barry. Extended to Warwick Road in 1937. Main facade of buff glazed faience with green trimmings. Two storeys. Five bays wide. Shop to ground floor on left of station retains original shop windows with curved plate glass. Thermal windows above with timber glazing bars. Ionic columns between on projecting volute brackets. Segmental pediment to blocking course of centre bay. Balustrade over. Faience fascia inscribed `District Railway: Earl's Court Station. G N Piccadilly and Brompton Railway'. Entrance through three bays of buff faience, with white terracotta keystones over original windows which have timber frames and beading. Glazed roof to ticket area between steel trusses. Train shed with elaborate pitched roof and arched iron trusses running at right angles. Each district line platform has a timber `Earl's Court' sign incorporating underground map. Six classic timber seats with roundel backrest, with `Earl's Court' name. Circular booking hall to Warwick Road, whose 1970s addition on top has no merit. The 1930s entrance is of brown brick, wired glass in metal glazing bars and incorporating the Underground logo; concrete roof tiling. Faience band to inside of drum. In addition there is a separate escalator shaft leading into the Earl's Court Exhibition Centre, which is one of the best surviving escalator halls on the underground system, with bronze uplighters. The tiling to the Piccadilly line platforms has been renewed sympathetically to the original design.
Earl's Court is one of the most interesting of the complex, multi-period stations, with features of architectural interest from three principal eras of underground development.
Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations
David Lawrence, Underground London
Listing NGR: TQ2550678539
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings