History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II* Listed Building in Prince's, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4868 / 51°29'12"N

Longitude: -0.1186 / 0°7'7"W

OS Eastings: 530722

OS Northings: 178103

OS Grid: TQ307781

Mapcode National: GBR KP.J6

Mapcode Global: VHGQZ.WWMM

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 22 October 1974

Last Amended: 27 March 1981

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 204315

Location: Lambeth, London, SE11

County: London

District: Lambeth

Electoral Ward/Division: Prince's

Built-Up Area: Lambeth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: North Lambeth

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Brixton

Listing Text

KENNINGTON LANE SE11
1. (north side)
5023

Church of St Peter
TQ 3078 4/490 22.10.74

II* GV

2.
1863-4 by J L Pearson. The church runs north-south but this description refers
to ritual directions. Polychrome brick with stone dressings and slated roofs.
Nave, aisles low projecting narthex. North transept running into chancel aisle.
Apsidal chancel. Extension to south-west, under separate roof, was to have
been tower and spire; these were not built. C13 style; lancets alone or as
part of large windows with simple plate tracery, and a wheel window high in
west gable. Small conical bell tower to south.
Interior is light and spacious, nave running straight into chancel. Whole church,
including aisles and narthex, rib vaulted with brick panels. High standard
of design and craftsmanship throughout, virtually unaltered. Gallery around
apse. Wrought iron front and side screens to raised choir whose low wall joins
elaborate carved stone pulpit with pictorial panels of painted stone and gold.
Mosaic and marble reredos, carved marble sedilia and piscina. Square stone
front with painted border and tall ornamental font cover.


Listing NGR: TQ3072278103

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.