This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4524 / 51°27'8"N
Longitude: -0.4397 / 0°26'22"W
OS Eastings: 508512
OS Northings: 173758
OS Grid: TQ085737
Mapcode National: GBR 30.7TF
Mapcode Global: VHFTK.BRDF
Entry Name: Pates Manor
Listing Date: 14 August 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202579
Location: Hounslow, London, TW14
Electoral Ward/Division: Bedfont
Built-Up Area: Hounslow
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Mary Bedfont
Church of England Diocese: London
4419 HATTON ROAD, BEDFONT
TQ 0873 39/404 14.8.53.
C15/16/17. 2 storeys, timber framed and plastered with overhanging gabled
cross wing on South with exposed post and pan timber framing with elaborate
timbering in gable top. 2 modern Georgian style sash windows on ground
floor, somewhat similar to 1st floor. Plain bargeboards. Remainder of
front has 2 sashes similar to 1st floor, coved eaves. Double brick stack
of Jacobean character with breast to left. C19 gabled wood porch to right
of it with old escutcheon of arms of Christ's Hospital. Canted wood sashed
bay with glazing bars and hipped roof to right of it. Old tile roof.
The main range seems to be about 1500, the South wing about 1530, the east
end of the South wing C15, and the North East range C17. South front has
roof in 2 heights, various sash and casement windows. Early C17 wood oriel
window to right on 1st floor, carved brackets, outside now covered by weatherboarding.
Brick chimney breast to West end with 2 shafts with oversailing capping,
probably about 1540. Newly exposed C16 2-light wood window on ground floor,
iron stanchions and modern leaded lights. Matching porch in centre of
front. North front has gable end with gable top with elaborate timber framing,
otherwise plastered. Interior has many recently exposed features of interest.
Panelled screen to screens passage, exposed ceiling timbers in many ground
floor rooms. Southern ground floor room with 4 centred headed stone fireplace
probably about 1540. Room above it, formerly the solar, has recently exposed
oak panelling throughout and 4 centred headed stone fireplace. Room to
North of it with 1 panelled wall and various exposed timbers. Room to
North of it with (exposed internally) old wood framed windows. The history
of the property is being compiled by Mr Clive-Ross, the owner of the property
(1968). It was the home of the Pate family in 1403-4 and was later the
home of the Page family who emigrated to Williamsburgh, Virginia in the
C17. It was occupied by Royalist and Cromwellian troops in the Civil Wars.
The house stands in partly walled gardens with cedar trees and there are
slight remains of a parterre. The house is being restored (1968). VCH
Vol 2 p311; Lysons' Middlesex Parishes; NMR.
Listing NGR: TQ0851273758
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings