This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5049 / 51°30'17"N
Longitude: -0.4718 / 0°28'18"W
OS Eastings: 506163
OS Northings: 179542
OS Grid: TQ061795
Mapcode National: GBR 16.ZPB
Mapcode Global: VHFTB.RFYQ
Entry Name: Church of St Martin
Listing Date: 1 March 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358325
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202724
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB7
Electoral Ward/Division: West Drayton
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Martin West Drayton
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 0679 CHURCH ROAD, West Drayton
804/30/76 Church of St Martin
GV 1/3/50 II*
Parish Church. C13 chancel, C15 arcade, roof to nave and tower, extensively restored and with south porch added by Charles Innes 1850-52. Built of flint with stone dressings and some tiles to tower quoins and tiled roof. Nave and aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch. Stepped tower of three stages has staircase turret with cupola in centre of north side, arched windows and Perpendicular west door. Four bay nave with clerestorey and restored double cinquefoil-headed lights and taller windows with sexfoils to aisles. South porch of 1850-2 of flint with stone dressings, continuous wooden window and arched doorcase. Lower two-bay chancel with restored double cinquefoil windows and traceried east window. Interior has C15 octagonal arcade piers to 4-bay nave; and contemporary roofs. C15 font, octagonal on a nine stemmed foot with figured panels, five with figures of angels, one with a man with a hood and dagger, one with a Pieta and one with a Crucifixion with the Virgin and StJohn. Chancel has restored Early English piscina. Beneath the chancel a C13 crypt was discovered in 1974, remodelled in the mid C17 as a burial vault for the Pagets, with arcaded niches for upright coffins. Several monuments including 2 C16 brasses and 3 memorials to the de Burgh family, late C18-early C19 by Bacon Senior and Junior. North window of 1925-6 by Morris and Co is a Burne Jones design of four figures with angels in the tracery.
[See BOE London 3: North West p367.]
St Martin's Church and the churchyard walls, the gatehouse and wall to the north, and the wall running to Gatehouse Nurseries form a group.
Listing NGR: TQ0616379542
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings