This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5408 / 51°32'26"N
Longitude: -0.4901 / 0°29'24"W
OS Eastings: 504812
OS Northings: 183512
OS Grid: TQ048835
Mapcode National: GBR 14.M4K
Mapcode Global: VHFT4.GJ9P
Entry Name: Church of St John
Listing Date: 6 September 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358390
English Heritage Legacy ID: 202958
Location: Hillingdon, London, UB8
Electoral Ward/Division: Uxbridge South
Built-Up Area: Hillingdon
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Uxbridge St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: London
804/21/391 ST JOHN'S ROAD
06-SEP-74 UXBRIDGE MOOR
CHURCH OF ST JOHN
Commissioners' Church, now converted into offices. Built 1838 by Henry Atkinson. London stock brick with slate roof and stuccoed dressings. Simple box-like plan to the Atkinson church with a W porch and bellcote, and a later chancel(chancel not seen at time of survey, July 2004).
EXTERIOR: W end to the street with a stuccoed W porch with gabled parapet above a string course, set-back buttresses and a Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould. Clock face in moulded stuccoed roundel above. The church is gabled to the W with a stuccoed parapet and gabled bellcote at the apex. N and S windows with Y tracery.
INTERIOR: Not inspected but the chancel is understood to have been preserved as a single space.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as an 1838 Commissioners' Church, this is a characteristic early-Victorian church by the architect Henry Atkinson. It is representative of a district growing in population in this period and expanding its places of worship. St John's is a typical example of a Commissioners' Church: using inexpensive materials and keeping architectural decoration to a minimum. The design is successful, however, in overcoming barriers of cost to produce an attractive church. Its stock brick and stucco dressing mirror the materials used in many London domestic buildings of this period and the side windows and porch are elegantly executed. It marks the end of the Georgian approach to Gothic design, before Pugin's writings and designs led to such a major change in church buildings. While the loss of interior features is regrettable, the exterior is intact and the church fully merits listing at Grade II.
SOURCES: Pevsner, The Buildings of England, London 4, North, 1999, p 358
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings