This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4109 / 51°24'39"N
Longitude: -0.2964 / 0°17'47"W
OS Eastings: 518575
OS Northings: 169358
OS Grid: TQ185693
Mapcode National: GBR 83.V88
Mapcode Global: VHGR8.TS4T
Entry Name: Chantry Chapel of St Mary Magdalene
Listing Date: 30 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358425
English Heritage Legacy ID: 203139
Location: Kingston upon Thames, London, KT2
District: Kingston upon Thames
Electoral Ward/Division: Grove
Built-Up Area: Kingston upon Thames
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Norbiton St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 1869 SE KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES LONDON ROAD
Chantry Chapel of St
30.7.51 Mary Magdalene
(also known as
Scheduled Ancient Monument. A chantry chapel founded by Edward Lovekyn in 1309
partly rebuilt in 1352 and much renewed in 1886. Became Queen Elizabeth's
Grammar School in 1561 and subsequently renamed Kingston Grammar School, which it has been a part of ever since. A plain rectangular building with gabled east and west ends and octagonal corner turrets at the east end. 3 bays wide. Originally flint-faced but the east wall and the 2 eastern bays of the south wall were re-faced with ashlar in the late C19. The turrets are also ashlar-faced. The east and west windows are similar, having 3 light cusped Perpendicular windows. Two light side windows. Only one of the 3 in the north wall is now open. On the south side, only the 2 eastern bays now have windows; in the western bay is a two-centred-arched doorway. Three bay interior, with 2 cusped arches set in north and south walls between windows. Corbel in form of carved head attached to a mullion at the east end. King post roof. (Victoria County History for Surrey).
Listing NGR: TQ1857569358
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings