History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Saviour and Sts John Baptist and Evangelist (Roman Catholic)

A Grade II Listed Building in Lewisham Central, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4601 / 51°27'36"N

Longitude: -0.0108 / 0°0'38"W

OS Eastings: 538289

OS Northings: 175332

OS Grid: TQ382753

Mapcode National: GBR L2.MYF

Mapcode Global: VHGR7.RKNK

Entry Name: Church of St Saviour and Sts John Baptist and Evangelist (Roman Catholic)

Listing Date: 12 March 1973

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358499

English Heritage Legacy ID: 203333

Location: Lewisham, London, SE13

County: London

District: Lewisham

Electoral Ward/Division: Lewisham Central

Built-Up Area: Lewisham

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Lewisham St Stephen with St Mark

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Catford

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/05/2016

TQ 3875 14/276

LEWISHAM HIGH STREET SE13 (East side)
Church of St Saviour and Sts John Baptist and Evangelist (Roman Catholic)

II

2.
1909 by John Kelly. South aisle and integral presbytery added later. Red brick building in Italian style. 2-storey, 1-window front. Overhanging mutuled eaves forming open pediment. Niches, in centre and in wide side pilasters, hold figures of saints. Large round window beneath upper figure. 3 crosses in raised brick below this. Projecting ground floor has entrance with Ionic columns and open pediment. Mosaic in tympanum. Above this is inscribed JESUS GIVE THEM ETERNAL REST 1914 1918. 3 stone figures of crucifixion above pediment. The Calvary was erected as a war memorial and unveiled in 1919. Two stone plaques either side of the entrance list the names of the fallen men of the church. Flanking 2-light windows with baluster mullions. Inside an entrance lobby with arcaded screen. 5-bay nave with arcade on Tuscan columns. Apsidal East end with ambulatory. Barreled roof with round arches to clerestory windows. Richly lined in coloured marbles.


Listing NGR: TQ3828975332


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.