This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4745 / 51°28'28"N
Longitude: -0.2206 / 0°13'14"W
OS Eastings: 523675
OS Northings: 176558
OS Grid: TQ236765
Mapcode National: GBR BH.WK2
Mapcode Global: VHGR4.466H
Entry Name: Office to South of Grandstand at Fulham Football Club
Listing Date: 24 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358582
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201947
Location: Hammersmith and Fulham, London, SW6
District: Hammersmith and Fulham
Electoral Ward/Division: Palace Riverside
Built-Up Area: Hammersmith and Fulham
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Etheldreda with St Clement Fulham
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2376 Stevenage Road
9/46 Office to South of
Grandstand at Fulham
Pavilion to football club. Built 1905 to the design of Archibald Leitch. Eclectic style with Queen Anne Revival features.
MATERIALS: Red brick with stone dressings, slate roof.
PLAN: 2 storeys 4 bays. The interior originally comprised offices, a caretaker's flat and billiard and card rooms.
DESCRIPTION: Front elevation has full-height bay windows to left-hand bay; third bay flanked by chimney stacks and surmounted by small scrolled pediment. Ground floor windows have scrolled gables; those to upper floor bay window with carved capitals. Timber sash windows with small panes to upper lights. The elevation facing the pitch has a first-floor balcony originally for the use of Directors and club officials; this is carried on cast-iron columns with decorative spandrels and has ornate cast-iron balustrading with roundels. Central gable to the roof with bargeboarding and mock timber framing. Entrances on side elevations with steps to upper floor. The interior is much altered and contains few original fittings.
HISTORY: Fulham FC was founded in 1879 and moved to its present site in 1896. Its popular name: 'Craven Cottage' alludes to an C18 cottage orné which once stood on the site.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as an integral part of early football ground and as the only surviving pavilion in a senior British football club.
SOURCES: English Heritage: Fulham Football Club, Historian's report, 1987; Simon Inglis: Football Grounds of Britain, 1996; Simon Inglis: Engineering Archie, 2005
Listing NGR: TQ2367576558
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings