History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ye Fox and Hounds and Mawson Arms and Nos. 112-118

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chiswick Homefields, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.488 / 51°29'16"N

Longitude: -0.2497 / 0°14'58"W

OS Eastings: 521621

OS Northings: 178017

OS Grid: TQ216780

Mapcode National: GBR 9M.V12

Mapcode Global: VHGQX.MVCN

Entry Name: Ye Fox and Hounds and Mawson Arms and Nos. 112-118

Listing Date: 11 July 1951

Last Amended: 29 March 1993

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358692

English Heritage Legacy ID: 202483

Location: Hounslow, London, W4

County: London

District: Hounslow

Electoral Ward/Division: Chiswick Homefields

Built-Up Area: Hounslow

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Nicholas Chiswick

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Barnes

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11/12/2012


4419
TQ 2177 NE 1/150
TQ 2178 SE 2/150
11.7.51


CHISWICK LANE W4
(Mawson Row)
No 110 (Ye Fox and Hounds and Mawson Arms)
Nos 112 to 118 (even) and wrought iron railings to nos. 112 to 118 (even)


II*


Terrace of 5 town-houses. c 1715, built for Thomas
Mawson, founder of Fuller's Brewery. No 110 converted to a
public house c 1897 and with later alterations. Brown brick with
red brick dressings and rubbed brick bands at 1st and 2nd floor
levels. Slated mansard roofs with dormers and tall brick chimney
stacks. 3 storeys, attics and basements. 3 windows each.No 110,
2 windows. Nos 112-118 form a symmetrical composition, the 2
centre houses (Nos 114 & 116) having mirrored plans with their
doors set side by side to form the central feature. Fenestration
grouping makes these 2 houses appear as one. No 110 does not
relate to the symmetry and has a return front of almost equal
importance. Rubbed brick round-arched entrances, probably early
C19 replacements, with radial fanlights and C20 doors of C18 design.
Sashes are early C20 replacements of probably early C19 sashes,
in original flush boxes. Some original 6-pane sashes with thick,
ovolo-moulded glazing bars survive at basement level. No 110
ground floor rebuilt late C20 with large window having glazing
bars & panelled apron. Interiors, contrary to early C18
practice, appear to have been fitted out under the control of one
man. All have original dog-leg stairs with barley twist
balusters and square section newels and considerable quantities
of square panelling, original cornices, doors and fireplaces.
Some wide original floor boards. Nos 112 & 114 have interesting
mid C19 alterations. The basements are of particular interest
being virtually intact. No 112 includes C19 dresser, original
door to stair, C19 plate shelf, good (later) door to area with
iron reinforcing straps and simple panelled pantry. No 114
includes original fire surround, original sash window,
substantial remains of a dresser, china cupboard with 3 curved
shelves and doors and door to stairwell with hinges and thumb
lock. No 116 includes original dresser, 2 panel cupboard door
with ventilation grille, substantial remains of china cupboard,
one and a half original sash windows. No 118 includes original
dresser, sash windows with security device, door to area,
cupboard with grille. All contain interesting original
ironworks, ie hinges, bolts, bars and other security devices.
Attached cast iron railings, to Nos 112-118 areas. No 110 was
lived in from 1716-19 by Alexander Pope at which time he
translated and published the Iliad and published his first
collected works. The garden house (qv) may have been design for
him. c1897 the brewery converted the ground floor into a public
house known as the "Fox and Hounds" and also the "Mawson Arms".
These houses are a fine and unusual survival of early C18
architecture and interiors.

Listing NGR: TQ2162178017

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.