History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Walls to North of Gough Park Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Chase, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6685 / 51°40'6"N

Longitude: -0.0742 / 0°4'27"W

OS Eastings: 533277

OS Northings: 198392

OS Grid: TQ332983

Mapcode National: GBR H4.HZ7

Mapcode Global: VHGQ7.NBN8

Entry Name: Walls to North of Gough Park Cottage

Listing Date: 17 March 1978

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358753

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200796

Location: Enfield, London, EN2

County: London

District: Enfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Chase

Built-Up Area: Enfield

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Clay Hill St John

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Enfield

Listing Text

1.
4411 CLAY HILL
(North Side)
Walls to north of
Gough Park Cottage
TQ 3398 3/280

II

2.
Three ranges of tall mid late C18 walls. Red brick in Flemish bond sloped up on
outer sides to coping of bricks on sides. Coping possibly later. Flat buttresses
at intervals. The longest wall, running east-west through the gardens, has two
pairs of gate piers, the eastern pair rebuilt at the top with replaced pineapple
finials and supporting a wrought iron gate with ornamental overthrow. A spur wall
runs north and is ramped up to a taller wall probably later in date, of larger bricks
and having a blocked gateway. Some rebuilding to upper courses. The long wall is in
poor repair at the west end, having lost several top courses. A wrought-iron fence
with ornamental panels and spearhead standards, links it to the road. The walls are
of interest as forming garden divisions in the estate of Richard Gough FSA, FRS (1735-
1809) the antiquarian and topographer, who came into the property in 1774. The
Cambridge architect James Essex designed improvements to the now demolished mansion
and may have laid out these walls.


Listing NGR: TQ3327798392

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.