This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5108 / 51°30'39"N
Longitude: -0.3453 / 0°20'43"W
OS Eastings: 514922
OS Northings: 180399
OS Grid: TQ149803
Mapcode National: GBR 67.FMC
Mapcode Global: VHFTD.Y9S4
Entry Name: Wharncliffe Viaduct
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201070
Location: Ealing, London, UB1
Electoral Ward/Division: Norwood Green
Built-Up Area: Ealing
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Emmanuel Southall
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 18 SW 1/94
TQ 18 SE 2/94
1836-37 by Isambard Kingdom Brunel. Contractors Messrs Grissell and Peto.
Brown brick viaduct of 8 semi-elliptical arches each of 70 ft span and rising
19 ft. Stone imposts, cornices and copings. The length is 886 ft, height
to parapet 81 ft and the original width 30 ft, widened on the north side
in 1877. The piers are in the form of pylons, originally 2 to each pier,
now 3. The arms of Lord Wharncliffe decorate the centre of the south face.
The first railway viaduct to use hollow piers. Original appearance illustrated
by Bourne in his 'Great Western Railway'. This was the first major engineering
work to be completed on the Great Western Railway.
Listing NGR: TQ1492280399
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings