History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Addington Palace (Royal School of Church Music)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Heathfield, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3574 / 51°21'26"N

Longitude: -0.0408 / 0°2'26"W

OS Eastings: 536510

OS Northings: 163859

OS Grid: TQ365638

Mapcode National: GBR KG.6DH

Mapcode Global: VHGRT.74SR

Entry Name: Addington Palace (Royal School of Church Music)

Listing Date: 29 January 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358819

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201209

Location: Croydon, London, CR0

County: London

District: Croydon

Electoral Ward/Division: Heathfield

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Croydon

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Addington St Mary the Blessed Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Elmers End

Listing Text

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012


TQ 36 SE 6/2
20.5.54
5009


GRAVEL HILL
Addington Palace
(Royal School of Church Music)


II*


Large house, School of Church Music at time of survey. Original house of 1772 by
Robert Mylne for Alderman Barlow Trecothick comprised 2 storey central block and 1
storey wings linking to end pavilions. In 1807 the estate was purchased as a palace by
the Archbishop of Canterbury. Between 1828 and 1833 Henry Harrison added a chapel
and library to the ground floor front and heightened the wings by one storey. In 1896
the estate was sold by Archbishop Temple to Frederick Alexander English, a South
African diamond millionaire and the house restructured by R Norman Shaw who added
a 2nd floor to the main block, reconstructed the main staircase, built the Great Hall,
added an impressive entrance hall in porch and converted the north pavilion to a Winter
Garden. Palladian style. Portland stone with hipped slate roof and tall stone
chimneystack. 12 pane sashes throughout except for ground floor which has 18-pane
sashes. Central block is of 3 storeys 1-3-3-3-1 sash windows with centre and ends
slightly projecting. Balustraded parapet cornice cill bands and blocking course. Central
2 storey porch by R Norman Shaw has triple-window to 1st floor and ground floor has
pedimented porch with Ionic columns and piers "in antis" and 2 leafed panelled door
behind. Wings have c1830 projecting single storey wings of 4 windows with balustraded
parapet to front and set back 2 storey wings of 3 windows. The wings terminate in north
and south pavilions, of 1 storey with pedimented gable with balustrading and 2 sashes in
round-headed arched recesses. Garden front is of 2 storeys on tall rusticated basement
with round-headed windows, the central 3 windows projecting under central pediment.
Balustrade and late C19 tall leaded mansard roof. Set back side wings have 5 windows.
Cornice and blocking course throughout. Outer attached pavilions are single storey
with basement and have 3 tall round-headed windows, cornice and pediment. North
Pavilion was converted into a Winter Garden in late C19 and chapel in mid C20 and has
projecting canted bay to side. Attached to the house on both north and south sides is an
early C19 brick wall about 20 feet in height. North side has cambered entrance. South
side incorporates octagonal cement rendered summerhouse with slate roof round-headed
windows and double door. Interior exhibits features by Mylne, Harrison and R Norman
Shaw. Adam Drawing Room is part of original Mylne structure but redecorated by
Norman Shaw. Original fireplace has marble fireplace with attached columns and panel
with goat sacrifice. Mouldings of musical instruments over doors are of hollow carved
wood. 6 panelled-doors and some false doors added to give the room symmetry.
Adamesque ceiling with wedgwood type panels and octagonal roundels. Adjoining
Chinese Drawing Room has marble fireplace with eared architraves, pilasters and basket
grate. Adam style ceiling with paterae and 4 roundels with Cupids. Morning Room
has elaborate green and white marble fireplace with carved architraves. Leaf moulded
cornice and deep fielded panels probably by R Norman Shaw. Impressive well staircase
has mahogany handrail and cast iron panels of shields and balustrades with crown. The
Great Hall by R Norman Shaw has an enormous Jacobean style marble fireplace with red
marble and alabaster strapwork overmantel and green marble surround to fireplace which
has black and white marble rusticated pilasters to lower tier and red marble engaged Ionic
columns above. Deep fielded wooden panelling, balconette with elaborate cast iron
surround and moulded ceilings. Drawing Room also by R Norman Shaw has stone
baronial fireplace with green marble panels and bell-shape above with attached columns.
Dado panelling with strapwork design and plaster ceiling with design of quatrefoils and
square panels with blank shields. Former chapel, now Dining Hall, has curved ceiling
with reel and bead ornament. Winter Garden, now chapel has intersecting ceiling and
round-headed windows of 1954. Memorial to Sydney Hugo Nicholson (1875-47),
Founder of the Royal School of Church Music. First floor Empire Room decorated in
Edwardian Louis XV1 style with 2 painted overmantels depicting nymphs and cupids,
double doors with flaming torch and arrow decorations and marble fireplace with gilt
inlay, pilasters and basket grate. [see 'Addington Palace history and description' Frederick
Storrocks. 'Addington Village and Historical Survey'. Frederick Storrocks]

Listing NGR: TQ3651063859

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.