This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6029 / 51°36'10"N
Longitude: -0.0674 / 0°4'2"W
OS Eastings: 533938
OS Northings: 191107
OS Grid: TQ339911
Mapcode National: GBR H8.RPB
Mapcode Global: VHGQF.SZ73
Entry Name: Warmington House
Listing Date: 10 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358833
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201377
Location: Haringey, London, N17
Electoral Ward/Division: Northumberland Park
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Paul Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
4415 HIGH ROAD N17
No 744 (Warmington House)
TQ 3391 7/96
House. 1828, extended to rear in C20. Stock brick with stucco dressings. Clay tile roof.
PLAN: 3 storeys high, 3 bays wide. Ground-floor is 2 rooms deep to either side of central hall and rear stair leading to first-floor. First and second floors rooms arranged around longitudinal landing. Secondary stair at N end of first-floor landing.
EXTERIOR: Symmetrical façade, partly obscured on N side by No. 744(A). Banded rusticated stucco ground-floor up to first-floor cill band, frieze; cornice band and parapet. Central 4-panel half-glazed door under rectangular fanlight. Sash windows with glazing bars (replaced) on ground and first floors and plain sash windows on second-floor. Moulded architrave to entrance (top section removed). Moulded architraves and unmoulded pediments to first-floor windows. Gauged brick arches to second-floor windows. Stair window on N side elevation; Diocletian window to attic on S side. Some original sashes to rear elevation, including tall round-headed stair window with margin lights. 6-panelled door; modern shallow brick porch (not of special interest). Pitched roof. Single-storey rear extensions are not of special interest.
INTERIOR: Interior retains original room plan form. Hall has cornice with paterae. Double-door openings beteen front and rear rooms in S ground and first-floor rooms. Stair with mahogany handrail and swept rail to inner string, stick balusters (balustrade currently boxed in); ground floor newel replaced. Round-headed stair window has margin lights, panelled reveals and shutters. Secondary stair also has mahogany handrail, square balusters (a number missing)and turned newels. Elliptical moulded arch across second-floor landing. Other features of interest include some cornices (those to ground-floor S rooms with elaborate mouldings), some simple chimneypieces and grates, ceiling roses (ground-floor). Most door and window architraves survive, vertical sliding shutters to N ground-floor rear room and original six-panelled door, some panelled doors (a number may survive beneath modern flush panels), moulded skirtings and dado rails.
HISTORY: Warmington House is recorded in the Poor Rate books for Tottenham as being built in 1828. Its name derives from James Warmington, farmer, coal merchant and skin salesman, who occupied the property from 1851-76. A later occupant of some note was John Alfred Prestwich, manufacturer of cine cameras, who lived there from 1888-98 and went on to invent the JAP motor cycle petrol engine and to found the JAP Engineering Company. The house was a restaurant from 1911-23. The building was most recently the supporters' club and offices to Tottenham Hotspur FC.
REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Warmington House is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Of special architectural interest as a house of 1828 retaining its internal plan form, staircases, and a number of original features.
* Of historic interest as an important survival of the once-numerous Georgian houses that lined Tottenham High Road, one of the principal historic corridors into the capital.
Victoria County History, A History of the County of Middlesex, Vol 5, pp 315-324
English Heritage Historians' file HAR/17
Listing NGR: TQ3393591106
Other nearby listed buildings