History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St George

A Grade II Listed Building in Waddon, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3609 / 51°21'39"N

Longitude: -0.1123 / 0°6'44"W

OS Eastings: 531521

OS Northings: 164115

OS Grid: TQ315641

Mapcode National: GBR GY.0C7

Mapcode Global: VHGRS.02G2

Entry Name: Church of St George

Listing Date: 2 January 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358838

English Heritage Legacy ID: 201299

Location: Croydon, London, CR0

County: London

District: Croydon

Electoral Ward/Division: Waddon

Built-Up Area: Croydon

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Croydon

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Croydon

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

TQ 36 SW Barrow Road, Waddon

5/53 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE

II

Church and community centre. 1932, Architect W Curtis Green. Built of
multicoloured brick in Flemish bond with Portland stone dressings and renewed
tiled roofs. Wooden surrounds to windows. Plan is a Greek Cross with extensions
to east and west arms. Bellcote at west end. West end of nave has tall lancet
window and triangular capped pilasters each side. Projecting porticos with
boarded doors and complicated ironmongery. Side elevations have transepts with
tall lancets and 2 mullioned windows with iron casements. Vestry has further 2
windows and 3 plank doors. Internally the building is supported on arches
reflecting 'crucks'. Boarded roof with 3 tiers of purlins. Nave has gallery at
the back and part has been partitioned off in the late C20 to form a community
centre. Interior fittings include oak organ case, octagonal oak pulpit, an
unusual circular oak font on 3 columns of Clipsham stone and steel bowl and
double doors with star decoration. The Lady Chapel has a 7-traceried window and
painting by Cicely Mary Barker, the illustrator of the Flower Fairy books who
taught at the Sunday School (See Architecture illustrated December 1932).


Listing NGR: TQ3152164115

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.