This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5813 / 51°34'52"N
Longitude: -0.0844 / 0°5'3"W
OS Eastings: 532824
OS Northings: 188674
OS Grid: TQ328886
Mapcode National: GBR HB.1D9
Mapcode Global: VHGQM.HJ74
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Ann
Listing Date: 10 May 1974
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358852
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201477
Location: Haringey, London, N15
Electoral Ward/Division: St Ann's
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Ann South Tottenham
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3288 ST ANN'S ROAD N15
800/35/222 Parish Church of St Ann
Church. 1861 by Thomas Talbot Bury. Snecked rubblestone with ashlar dressings; slate roofs.
Plan of nave, aisles, south-west porch-steeple, north and south transeptal chapels and apsed chancel with north chapel. Second pointed style.
EXTERIOR: 3-stage tower with stepped angle buttresses. Gabled entrance to south, with undercut mouldings. Lower stage with one 2-light west window, ringing chamber with triple trefoiled lancets under hood moulds, the outer ones blind. Twin lancets to bell chamber, with cusped quatrefoil vesicas over a trefoiled lights. Broached stone steeple with two tiers of lucarnes, the lower ones with 2-light tracery. Top of steeple damaged by barrage balloon in World War II; rebuilt 1954-5 by J. Barrington-Baker.
Nave with 5-light west window with Geometric Decorated tracery. Aisles with 3 3-light Decorated windows (4 to north aisle). Clerestory of 3 groups of twin lancets (4 on north side) separated by pilaster strips. Transeptal chapels each with angle buttresses and 2 2-light Geometric windows to lower stage and a wheel window in the gable head. Apse with 5 2-light windows with trefoiled lights below cinquefoiled vesicas.
INTERIOR: 4-bay nave arcade of quatrefoil piers with seaweed capitals supporting arches with one chamfered and one sunk-quadrant mouldings. Wide moulded chancel arch on bundled piers. Clerestory windows with rere arches, and each with additional paired lancets to east and west bays, the former opening into transepts, the latter blind on south side. Arch-braced roof, the arches with a trefoil profile, collars and 2 tiers butt purlins and ridge piece. Y-braces from collars to purlins. Lean-top aisle roofs with purlins.
Apse with arcaded stone dado consisting of trefoil arches supported on engaged columns and surmounted by crocketed gablets with panelled crocketed finials between them. Reredos of 3 cinquefoiled gablets with similar decoration containing monochrome depiction of Jesus in House of Simon, by Cornelius Durham. Engaged stone columns rise between windows to foliate carved capitals on which are wall posts for the radial trefoiled roof timbers.
Twin engaged columns to the transept chapel entrances, with seaweed capitals and wide flat pointed arches carved with busts of saints bearing scrolls set on a foliate background. Above the arches are 2 roundels with high-relief carvings of saints. North chancel chapel with dado panelling.
FITTINGS: arcaded stone altar rails with marble top rail. Caen stone pulpit decorated with carved Geometric tracery designs, each facet separated by a projecting stepped buttress. By Mr Gomm, the foreman of the work. Marble balustrade to steps added 1928. Octagonal font with quatrefoils containing a bird, shields and foliage. Stained glass in west window and apse windows by William Wailes of Newcastle, 1861.
Listing NGR: TQ3282488674
Other nearby listed buildings