This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5722 / 51°34'19"N
Longitude: -0.1394 / 0°8'21"W
OS Eastings: 529042
OS Northings: 187562
OS Grid: TQ290875
Mapcode National: GBR DT.RJN
Mapcode Global: VHGQL.JRP4
Entry Name: Church of St Augustine of Canterbury
Listing Date: 10 May 1974
Last Amended: 8 May 1997
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358860
English Heritage Legacy ID: 201419
Location: Haringey, London, N6
Electoral Ward/Division: Highgate
Built-Up Area: Haringey
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Augustine Highgate
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 2987 ARCHWAY ROAD, N6
800/41/145 Church of Saint Augustine
of Canterbury (formerly
listed under Langton Park
Anglican church. Begun 1885 by J.D.Sedding; west front completed in 1916 by J. Harold Gibbons. Body of church in stock brick with red brick and stone dressing. Tiled roof. Eight bay nave, chancel and aisles. West front to Archway road in highly individual free Gothic style, with prominent west tower with pagoda roof sweeping down at the sides to nave roof level. Huge gabled transverse buttresses at angles and long stepped buttresses in front. Flamboyant tracery to high west window. Projecting narthex with central part faced in stone with roof figures in high relief, and other pictorial carvings. INTERIOR: nave runs straight into chancel. Arcades on solid masonry piers. Clerestory windows, slit lancets in wide pointed arches. Lady chapel with barrelled roof, fitted out by Henry Wilson and completed c.1930. East end remodelled in 1925 by J. Harold Gibbons following fire: new organ gallery replaces 3 original bays. Hunter organ, 1926. Altar and reredos panelling, 1938 by Adrian Scott; altar front by Linthout of Bruges. Figures above the altar, 1958; shrine to Mary in east nave, 1962, Laurence King. Large undercroft below west end.
Listing NGR: TQ2904287562
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings