This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.515 / 51°30'53"N
Longitude: -0.0864 / 0°5'11"W
OS Eastings: 532879
OS Northings: 181295
OS Grid: TQ328812
Mapcode National: GBR SC.R3
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.G55Z
Entry Name: Drapers' Hall
Listing Date: 5 June 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1358902
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199780
Location: City of London, London, EC2N
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Broad Street
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Margaret Lothbury
Church of England Diocese: London
THROGMORTON STREET EC2
Nos 27 and 28
TQ 3281 SE 10/288 5.6.72.
Includes No 29 Austin Friars.
Buildings of Hall C19 probably incorporating earlier fabric. Much of the work
by Herbert Williams, 1866-70 (?) 3 separate frontage buildings. (1) At eastern
end stone facade, 3 storeys with mansard. 2 bays, each with 3 windows. Granite
ground floor with 2 segmental headed windows and flanking doors. 1st floor with
segmental pediment to central window. 2nd floor windows round-headed with cornice
carried by thin consoles. (2) Baroque stone facade, 2 major storeys, screens
apsed end of Hall from street. 3 bays. Channelled ground floor. Main entrance
under open pediment on consoles with angel masks. 1st floor, modified Composite
pilasters between round-headed windows with bold open pediments on consoles, the
central one being segmental. Entablature, Balustrade. (3) 3 main storeys, shops
with offices above. 8 bays, asymmetrical, extending over Throgmorton Avenue.
Ground floor with mezzanine of contrasting granite orders. Upper storeys of finely
painted red brick with stone windows of varying forms including shallow bays.
Entablature carrying pediments to each ba. 2 attic storeys over eastern part of
facade. Archway over Throgmorton Avenue has an ornate 4 storey rear elevation
with stone friezes. This building incorporates fine C17 style entrance doorway
of carved Portland stone with 2 large male figures carrying full entablature with
pulvinated frieze. Open pediment containing sculptured arms. Return elevation
to Throgmorton Avenue includes red brick staircase wing, dated 1898 with stone
windows and giant segmental pediment; stuccoed block with blank round-head recesses
and modillion cornice with blocking course. Internal large mid C19 courtyard in
distinguished classical style. Portland stone. Cloister now enclosed. Order
of Ionic pilasters to upper floor with row of arched windows above to east and
west. Crowning balustrade. Within is a magnificent suite of state rooms with rich
plaster decoration etc. Very large hall with marble Corinthian columns on pedestals
supporting balcony: compartmented ceiling with paintings by Herbert Draper (circa
1905-10) apsed south end. Staircase enriched with marble and alabaster. Stuccoed
north range includes court dining room.
Listing NGR: TQ3288581299
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings