History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Luke

A Grade II* Listed Building in Charlton, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4818 / 51°28'54"N

Longitude: 0.0358 / 0°2'8"E

OS Eastings: 541457

OS Northings: 177835

OS Grid: TQ414778

Mapcode National: GBR MQ.7PT

Mapcode Global: VHHNQ.K0RW

Entry Name: Church of St Luke

Listing Date: 19 October 1951

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1358934

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200248

Location: Greenwich, London, SE7

County: London

District: Greenwich

Electoral Ward/Division: Charlton

Built-Up Area: Greenwich

Traditional County: Kent

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Charlton St Luke with Holy Trinity

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Kidbrooke

Listing Text

TQ 4177 CHARLTON CHURCH LANE SE7

786/29/G3 Church of St Luke
19.10.51.
II*


Nave, South porch and West Tower of about 1630, on site of earlier church. North aisle added 1693, also 2-bay chancel which is now incorporated with nave. Red brick with high pitched tiled roofs. South porch has curved gable over order framing rusticated brick wall. Round arched entrance with moulded brick architrave and keystone. Similar treatment on sides of porch. Tower of 3 stages with battlement parapet. Bell openings and windows have brick tracery, partly renewed. Nave and aisle windows have archaic Gothic tracery much restored. Chancel and North aisle extension C19, also of red brick. Projecting entrance with stone-coped Dutch gable on South wall; now blocked; and another entrance porch on South side of North-East extension.
Inside nave of 2 and 2 bays. East bay of extended North aisle as chapel. l-bay chancel with large arch to organ chamber on North side. C17 wagon roof to old chancel and same style in new chancel. Heavy tie beams to nave roof. Aisle roof flat and plastered. Mid C17 pulpit. C17 stone font with baluster stem, bowl with draperies and shells. Many interesting monuments, particularly;

a. Stone tablet to Edward Wilkinson, master cook to Queen Elizabeth, d.1561.
b. Lady Newton, 1630 by Nicholas Stone, large tablet framed in Order, black and white marble.
c. Brigadier Michael Richards 1721, free-standing man in armour.
d. Spencer Perceval, the Prime Minister assassinated in 1812, bust by Chantrey.


Listing NGR: TQ4145777835

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.