History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Station Pylons to North and South of Southgate Station

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southgate, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6325 / 51°37'57"N

Longitude: -0.128 / 0°7'40"W

OS Eastings: 529660

OS Northings: 194293

OS Grid: TQ296942

Mapcode National: GBR FJ.VSK

Mapcode Global: VHGQD.Q7QC

Entry Name: Station Pylons to North and South of Southgate Station

Listing Date: 19 February 1971

Last Amended: 10 December 1975

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359011

English Heritage Legacy ID: 200576

Location: Enfield, London, N14

County: London

District: Enfield

Electoral Ward/Division: Southgate

Built-Up Area: Enfield

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Andrew Chase Side

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
East Barnet

Listing Text

ENFIELD

790/22/80 STATION PARADE
19-FEB-71 SOUTHGATE
Station pylons to north and south of S
outhgate Station

(Formerly listed as:
STATION PARADE N14
SOUTHGATE
STATION SIGN TO NORTH OF SOUTHGATE STA
TION)
(Formerly listed as:
CHASE SIDE N21
SOUTHGATE
STATION SIGN TO NORTH OF SOUTHGATE STA
TION)

II*
Pair of pylons, one to north and one to south, form part of the main oval-shaped station island. They were erected in 1933 to the designs of Stanley A. Heaps for the London Passenger Transport Board, based on a design by Charles Holden of Adams, Holden and Pearson. These each comprise lamp standards, station sign and a seat. The pylon is a reinforced concrete tapering shaft that incorporates a sign that reads 'UNDERGROUND', the central nine letters set within dashed tracks. At the summit is a steel halo supporting five pendant lights. Below this, an upswept concrete canopy pierced by a concrete pier, with an encircling timber seat near the base. The northern panel has polished granite panels above the seat.

HISTORY: Southgate Underground Station was approved in 1930 and opened in 1933 on the northern extension of the Piccadilly Line. This seven mile extension beyond the original terminus of Finsbury Park required a parliamentary act and was to serve the enlarging suburban areas in north Middlesex. The first section of the line, from Finsbury Park to Arnos Grove, which included the stations at Manor House, Turnpike Lane, Wood Green and Bounds Green, was opened on 19 September 1932. Southgate and Enfield West (now Oakwood) followed in March 1933 and the terminus at Cockfosters opened on 31 July 1933. The London Passenger Transport Board (LPTB) was created on 1 July 1933. This group of stations was commissioned by Frank Pick (1878-1941) and designed by architect Charles Holden (1875-1960), who together created an architecturally distinguished group of buildings. Pick worked for London underground railways from 1906-1940, throughout his career striving to promote high-quality, well-detailed design that he believed was essential for serving the public. Holden was an accomplished Arts and Crafts architect in the Edwardian period who uniquely made the move to modernism, following a 1930 study tour (with Pick) of continental railway stations and modern architecture. Together they firmly promoted functionalist modernism for the new station designs, taking advantage of newly available materials, and adopting the continental and American idea of a primary concourse as circulation space, with the ticket hall as the dominant element of the new buildings. The southern pylon is believed to have been reconstructed at some point in the late C20.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
This pair of pylons are listed at Grade II*, along with the contemporary underground station, for the following principal reasons:
* They are functional and aesthetic components of the significant Southgate station transport interchange, designed by Charles Holden, and good examples of the attention to every detail demanded by Frank Pick of his designers.
* They are landmark features that denote the presence of the slightly set back station, and form an integral design feature of the complex.
* They demonstrate Pick's determination to integrate London's transport and his architect's successful attention to that important brief.
* Their bold verticality is intended to offset the low curving horizontality of the main station building, also listed at Grade II*.
* They cleverly incorporate the distinctive logo of London Underground and therefore play an important role in the integration of modern corporate identity that the company pioneered.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.