History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Matthew

A Grade II Listed Building in Harlesden, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5417 / 51°32'30"N

Longitude: -0.2489 / 0°14'55"W

OS Eastings: 521534

OS Northings: 183990

OS Grid: TQ215839

Mapcode National: GBR 9J.FYG

Mapcode Global: VHGQQ.MHSY

Entry Name: Church of St Matthew

Listing Date: 3 June 1992

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359020

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198801

Location: Brent, London, NW10

County: London

District: Brent

Electoral Ward/Division: Harlesden

Built-Up Area: Brent

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Matthew Willesden

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Harlesden

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:-

TQ 2183 ST MARY'S ROAD
Willesden
935-/12/10000 CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

II

Church. Designed 1898 by W D Caroe; built 1900-6. Red brick with some
stone dressings; tiled, pitched roof. Free Perpendicular style with
Art Nouveau & Arts & Crafts influence. 4-bay aisled nave with
clerestory, narthex, small transepts; south aisle Lady Chapel, north
aisle vestries; 3-bay chancel. North eastern bellcote. West facade
with projecting 2-storey outer bays having entrances, deeply recessed
1st floor 2-light windows, the recesses with cambered arch heads,
splayed reveals & battered brick aprons; stone coped parapets & gables
with shingled spirelets. Central bay single storey with penthouse roof
and entrances flanking a 3-light window; 6-light eastern window set
within a shallow, slightly pointed recess with 3 brick mullions. Large
5-light clerestory windows set in similar arches which fade to sides
of similarly profiled flanking buttresses extending to tiled gabled
parapets over penthouse aisle roofs and into blind gables on the nave
roof. Eastern window, 7 lights set in slightly pointed arched recess
with 2 brick mullions. Interior of contrasting render and exposed
brick. Polished red tile floor. Slightly pointed waggon roof. Western
gallery. Nave arcading of shallow wide arches and oak panelled
pillars, arches respond on aisle walls; narrow passage aisles with
transverse arches and small windows of richly coloured stained glass.
Many fitments and fittings by Caroe including the carved stone font
(1901), carved and lettered stone pulpit (1906), Lady Chapel and
chancel, carved and polished wood altar fronts (latter painted at a
later date) and probably the chancel gates being a 1st World War
memorial. Organ designed by Noel Bonavia-Hunt, assistant priest from
1905-12. 2 stained glass memorial windows at west end dated 1920.


Listing NGR: TQ2153483990

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.