History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Marthas Convent (The Mount House) with Attached Stable Block

A Grade II* Listed Building in High Barnet, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6635 / 51°39'48"N

Longitude: -0.1892 / 0°11'20"W

OS Eastings: 525340

OS Northings: 197636

OS Grid: TQ253976

Mapcode National: GBR BY.YSQ

Mapcode Global: VHGQ5.NGV2

Entry Name: St Marthas Convent (The Mount House) with Attached Stable Block

Listing Date: 18 July 1949

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359027

English Heritage Legacy ID: 198831

Location: Barnet, London, EN4

County: London

District: Barnet

Electoral Ward/Division: High Barnet

Built-Up Area: Barnet

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Mary the Virgin Monken Hadley

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Barnet

Listing Text

1.
5004 CAMLET WAY
Monken Hadley

St Martha's Convent
(The Mount House) with
attached stable block
TQ 2597 9/8 18.7.49

II*


2.
Mid C18. A fine red brick mansion with stone dressings, quoins and string course.
Two storeys. Main elevation of 5 windows with the centre 3 set slightly forward
under pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central doorway on a large scale.
Ionic columns frame a 6 panel door with a fanlight and pediment. Bullseye window in
eaves pediment. Modillion cornice, parapet, hipped roof. Lawn elevation altered by
2 circa 1800 full height bows each with 3 sash windows. Cantilevered stair with
2 fluted balusters to each tread, and ramped handrail. The home 1836-1863 of
J H Green the editor of 'Spiritual Philosophy; founded on the teachings of the late
Samuel Taylor Coleridge', written in the house and published in 1866. Also the
wartime home 1941-45 of the Architectural Association School. Stable block to the
right of the house is contemporary. Red brick with tiled roof. Two storeys,
2 windows flank each side of a tall rusticated archway with pediment and clock tower
over. Clock turret with 2 segmented and 2 triangular pediments on the faces, domed
cupola above. Band between floors. Arched openings below. Bullseyes and sashes
with balustraded aprons above. Screen walls of red brick flank the house with a
pedimented archway ball finials on either side.


Listing NGR: TQ2534097636

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.