History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John the Baptist

A Grade II* Listed Building in Underhill, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6532 / 51°39'11"N

Longitude: -0.2009 / 0°12'3"W

OS Eastings: 524557

OS Northings: 196463

OS Grid: TQ245964

Mapcode National: GBR BZ.G1L

Mapcode Global: VHGQ5.GQN1

Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist

Listing Date: 1 February 1950

Last Amended: 7 April 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359101

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199161

Location: Barnet, London, EN5

County: London

District: Barnet

Electoral Ward/Division: Underhill

Built-Up Area: Barnet

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Chipping Barnet

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Barnet

Listing Text

1.
5004 WOOD STREET
(north side)

Church of St John the Baptist
TQ 2496 10/25 1.2.50 (Formerly listed as Parish
Church of Chipping Barnet)
II* GV


2.
Altered extensively in circa 1873-5 by William Butterfield, the Church incorporates
the mid C15 building as its double north aisle. Flint with stone dressings in bands
and chequerwork. Imposing west tower. Timber fleche by Traylen.
Interior plastered. Nave roof double framed collar-braced with closely spaced
scissor-braced rafters. Roof to C15 building shows a flat panelled ceiling. Font
cover, altar and reredos of stone and Purbeck marble by Butterfield (1880-82).
Elaborately carved pulpit and unique set of carved pew-ends by Traylen. Organ by
Hill circa 1876. Ravenscroft Chapel in south aisle contains fine C17 alabaster
effigy of Thomas Ravenscroft, a local benefactor. Glass in north and south aisles
by Henry Holiday in good Arts and Crafts manner circa 1887-89.


Listing NGR: TQ2455296465

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.