This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5129 / 51°30'46"N
Longitude: -0.1032 / 0°6'11"W
OS Eastings: 531719
OS Northings: 181037
OS Grid: TQ317810
Mapcode National: GBR NC.ZV
Mapcode Global: VHGR0.579J
Entry Name: Apothecaries Hall
Listing Date: 4 January 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359133
English Heritage Legacy ID: 199326
Location: City of London, London, EC4V
District: City and County of the City of London
Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Within
Built-Up Area: City of London
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London
Church of England Parish: St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3181 SE
BLACK FRIARS LANE EC4 (East Side)
Nos 10 to 18 (consec) (Apothecaries Hall)
Mainly 1670 and 1786, incorporating slight medieval remains of Blackfriars' Priory. Courtyard building with main C17 ranges, of two storeys, to north and east. South and west ranges, of three storeys, mostly late C18. Plain front of pink/yellow brick with stuccoed ground storey and painted entablature etc. Slated roof. Fine central archway of late C17 character. Some red brick dressings etc at either end and two secondary entrances. Plain, altered south return with central loop hole. Irregular rear with low building of yellow brick to south-east, probably late C18 or early C19. Elevations to courtyard entirely stuccoed with parapet to slated roof.
Hall on first floor of east side with central clock, pediment and coat of arms etc and external stair in south-east corner. Ground storey of north range formerly an open colonnade. Rear of entrance archway has late C18 pediment etc. The hall contains plain original panelling and fine, carved woodwork at either end. Large cornice to ceiling which was probably remade in C19. Plain panelling in Court Room also original and large main staircase which has lost some of its enclosing walls. Narrow, panelled room over colonnade. In the courtyard is an early C19 large lamp with wrought iron support and painted stone pedestal. Scheduled AM.
Listing NGR: TQ3173781054
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings