History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Public Record Office

A Grade II* Listed Building in Farringdon Without, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5153 / 51°30'55"N

Longitude: -0.1104 / 0°6'37"W

OS Eastings: 531213

OS Northings: 181287

OS Grid: TQ312812

Mapcode National: GBR MB.CZ

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.15HQ

Entry Name: The Public Record Office

Listing Date: 9 January 1970

Last Amended: 24 July 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359155

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199443

Location: City of London, London, EC4A

County: London

District: City and County of the City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Farringdon Without

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Church of England Parish: St Bride Fleet Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Holborn

Listing Text

TQ 3181 SW
61/7

CITY OF WESTMINSTER
CHANCERY LANE, WC2
The Public Record Office

9.1.70

G.V.
II*
Public building. Original part to east partly within City of London,
Fetter Lane q.v., 1853-55 by Sir James Pennethorne, extended with frontage
to Chancery Lane 1891-96 by Sir John Taylor including re-erected C13
archway of the Rolls Chapel. Pennethorne's work of Bath stone with lead
roofs; Taylor's extension of Portland stone, both rock faced with ashlar
dressings. Pennethorne's building is notable for its fire proof
construction with individual modular document cells built of wrought iron
with shallow arched brick vaults and cast iron girders; the elevations
employing Perpendicular Gothic in very functional way; the Perpendicular
style was continued by Taylor in a rather more elaborated fashion.
Symmetrical front to Chancery Lane with central archway in "gatehouse" and
terminal polygonal turrets with stone ogee cupolas. Symmetrical east-west
range with central "gatehouse" and square tower above, and a more
asymmetrical range with polygonal turrets to Fetter Lane. The Pennethorne
work distinguished by the sheer mullion-buttresses articulating the fully
glazed window bays finished off with depressed triangular arches over the
top floor below pierced parapet and crocketed finials. Similar details to
Taylor extension but with closer net mullions dividing the lights. Part of
the chancel arch of the demolished C13 Rolls Chapel re-erected against the
rear of the Chancery Lane block at the south east end. Important
Renaissance monuments from the chapel are now in the Record Office museum.


Listing NGR: TQ3121381287

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.