History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Offices of the Bridewell Hospital

A Grade II* Listed Building in Castle Baynard, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.513 / 51°30'46"N

Longitude: -0.1045 / 0°6'16"W

OS Eastings: 531628

OS Northings: 181043

OS Grid: TQ316810

Mapcode National: GBR NC.PT

Mapcode Global: VHGR0.47MH

Entry Name: Former Offices of the Bridewell Hospital

Listing Date: 4 January 1950

Last Amended: 29 September 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359214

English Heritage Legacy ID: 199660

Location: City of London, London, EC4V

County: London

District: City and County of the City of London

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle Baynard

Built-Up Area: City of London

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): City of London

Church of England Parish: St Bride Fleet Street

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
London

Listing Text

TQ 3181 SE NEW BRIDGE STREET, EC4
(West side)
627-0/8/174 No.14 (former offices of
the Bridewell Hospital)

GV 04/01/50 II*

Circa 1805, by James Lewis. Classical front in Portland stone. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Channelled ground storey with 3, arched openings. Order of Doric pilasters through 2 storeys above supporting pediment with coat of arms in tympanum. Dressings to 1st and 2nd storey windows. Railings and lamp standards to front area. Irregular rear elevation of 2 storeys. Yellow brick with slight stone dressings. INTERIOR: wrought-iron gates lead into a barrel-vaulted passage which originally gave access to a courtyard behind. On either side are doorways with ornamental fanlights. The passage is lit by a lantern supported by a bracket spanning the gap between the two doors. The right-hand doorway leads into a hall with an elegant cantilevered staircase, and the front room on this side has a marble fireplace with inset 'cameos'. The left- hand doorway leads into a self-contained unit comprising two ground floor and two basement rooms, the ground floor front room having a barrel vaulted-ceiling. Some delicate, plaster cornices and plain, early- C19 fireplaces survive in first and ground floor rooms.

Listing NGR: TQ3161381025

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.