This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.902 / 52°54'7"N
Longitude: -0.1705 / 0°10'13"W
OS Eastings: 523148
OS Northings: 335407
OS Grid: TF231354
Mapcode National: GBR HVX.5P5
Mapcode Global: WHHM1.CB13
Entry Name: Wikes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 13 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359286
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198150
Location: Donington, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE11
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: Donington
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Donington St Mary and the Holy Rood
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
DONINGTON WIKES ROAD
TF 23 NW
2/36 Wikes Farmhouse
Farmhouse. 1680, built by Thomas Cowley, founder of Donington
School, altered and extended C18 and C19. Red brick in English
bond, machine plain tiled and pantile roof, large axial ridge
stack. T-plan. 2 storey and garret, irregular 3 bay front,
originally 5, with plinth, first floor band, 2 tall margin light
sashes to ground floor, one glazing bar sash lighting stair
mezannine at the centre. To first floor 3 glazing bar sashes and
2 blocked openings. All openings have brick segmental arches.
In the right hand gable an ashlar datestone inscribed"TC1680,"
with fan above. In the right hand gable, which is offset, the
initials TC in the tie plates. To the rear a single storey C18
kitchen range, partly covers the site of the original door, and
has a 6 panel door and overlight and a tripartite plain sash,
both with segmental heads. Above a 3 light dormer. Behind a mid
C19 addition. Interior. Contemporary dogleg stair with large
turned balusters, wide moulded handrail. Large square panelled
newels and panelled risers. Bolection moulded panels to stair
wall. Small cellar beneath stair. Left hand room with full
height bolection moulded panelling, deeply moulded cornice,
bolection moulded architrave to door. To first floor a very fine
room with full height bolection moulded pine panelling, bolection
moulded fireplace surround with large C18 cast iron grate,
cornice, architrave to match, double doors, full wooden cornice.
Doors have original H hinges. 6 bays of staggered butt purlin
roof in sawn softwood, pegged. The principal rafters rest on
posts. The chimneys join in an arch to form the ridge stack.
Original planked doors, and stair partition. 2 roll moulded
beams in former kitchen.
Listing NGR: TF2314835407
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings