This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.7462 / 52°44'46"N
Longitude: -0.0852 / 0°5'6"W
OS Eastings: 529348
OS Northings: 318231
OS Grid: TF293182
Mapcode National: GBR JZ3.WSR
Mapcode Global: WHHMV.N7MH
Entry Name: Chapel of St James
Listing Date: 7 February 1967
Last Amended: 7 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359293
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198075
Location: Moulton, South Holland, Lincolnshire, PE12
District: South Holland
Civil Parish: The Moultons
Built-Up Area: Moulton Chapel
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Moulton St James
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
MOULTON ROMAN ROAD
TF 21 NE Moulton Chapel
11/113 Chapel of St James (formerly
listed as Church of St James)
Chapel of Ease. 1722, by William Sands Senior, of Spalding;
1886. Red brick with limestone ashlar dressings. Octagonal
slate roof over nave with lead, pyramidal finial; slate
polygonal chancel roof. Moulded brick eaves. Octagonal nave of
1722 with polygonal chancel and north vestry of 1886 attached to
east. Ashlar dressed plinth. 7 exposed sides of nave each
defined by giant order pilasters with ashlar capitals and bases.
Ashlar dressed west doorway with semi-circular head, moulded
architrave and imposts, panelled fanlight and double panelled
doors. Large scrolled cartouche above with palms and inscribed:
" P A 52 DEO PFSS ECCLESIAE ANGLICANAE EVI REE REST IfD ASH
MDCCXXII'. Doorway flanked by single blind openings with semi-
circular headed ashlar architraves and imposts. Beyond, on each
side, are 2 windows with similar architraves, semi-circular heads
and leaded lights. To the east, on the north side is a vestry of
1886, with a west doorway with ashlar lintel and plank door.
North side flanked by giant order ashlar dressed pilasters, and
with small semi-circular headed window with ashlar architrave and
imposts. Eastern apse of 1886 with giant order pilasters and 3
similar windows. Interior C19 chancel arch with basket arch
supported on pilasters. Curved west gallery of 1722 with fielded
panelling and fluted pilasters, and supported on slender columns.
Large C20 rood screen in the Classical style. Domed ceiling over
nave defined with foliate and daisy painted band. C18 white and
grey marble font on tall panelled tapering pedestal with clawed
feet, fluted bowl with small volutes, ornate ogee wooden hood.
C19 pews, communion rail, etc. C18 pine benches in the west
Listing NGR: TF2934818231
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.