This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5561 / 51°33'21"N
Longitude: 0.1401 / 0°8'24"E
OS Eastings: 548462
OS Northings: 186300
OS Grid: TQ484863
Mapcode National: GBR QX.Q0C
Mapcode Global: VHHND.C4YY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 15 April 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359310
English Heritage Legacy ID: 198263
Location: Barking and Dagenham, London, RM8
District: Barking and Dagenham
Electoral Ward/Division: Valence
Built-Up Area: Barking and Dagenham
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Becontree St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TQ 48 NE
Grafton Road (east side)
Church of St Mary
Church. 1934-35. By Welch, Cachemaille-Day, and Lander. Concrete rendered, with brick dressings; plain tile roof.
Five-bay nave having four-bay north aisle with porch at its west end; sanctuary of 3x3 bays below tower; one and a half-storey two-bay vestry with flat above at northeast corner. Windows have steeply-pointed curved heads with intersecting tracery; doors also have curved heads, and panelled doors; buttresses; brick verges.
West end dominated by steeply-gabled nave with five-light window; gabled aisle, set back on left, has three-light window and is fronted by porch which has shallowly-pitched roof. Two-stage tower has tile offset at lower level; drum at southeast corner rising as vice with slit windows and concrete ribbed bellcote; band below the two-light windows which are set in concave panels. a single lancet to east end.
Interior: barn-like nave has pointed arched aisle arcade; corbelled upper crucks, and two tiers of through purlins. Tower: of ribbed brick, the main-ribs springing from flower-decorated brackets; pointed arched arcades and nave arch; balcony below windows; tubular metal light fittings. Altar rail has squat, spindle-type, balusters. Parquet floors. Original pulpit and lectern.
This is one of five churches which were built to serve the large London County Council Becontree Estate.
Listing NGR: TQ4846286300
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings