This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2834 / 53°17'0"N
Longitude: -0.521 / 0°31'15"W
OS Eastings: 498699
OS Northings: 377284
OS Grid: SK986772
Mapcode National: GBR SZSG.ZQ
Mapcode Global: WHGHS.ZQ1S
Entry Name: Grange De Lings House
Listing Date: 30 November 1966
Last Amended: 21 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1359448
English Heritage Legacy ID: 196882
Location: Grange De Lings, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN2
District: West Lindsey
Civil Parish: Grange de Lings
Traditional County: Lincolnshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire
Church of England Parish: Riseholme St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Lincoln
SK 97 NE GRANGE DE LINGS
4/10 Grange de Lings
House (fomerly listed as
30.11.66 The Grange)
Former monastic grange now incorporated into later farmhouse.
C13, C14, C19 with C20 alterations. Coursed limestone rubble
with ashlar dressings, hipped slate roof with 3 brick stacks. 2
storey, 4 bay front with off-centre C20 half glazed door with
hood, flanked by single C20 4 light windows. To first floor a 3
light window is flanked by 4 similar 4 light openings. To the left
of the facade is a pointed window with C20 Y tracery. In the
facade is evidence of blocked openings obscured by later work.
In the left hand side front the remains of a turning stair can be
seen and a deeply splayed single light, the splay being on the
outer face. Interior. At the left hand end is a small vaulted
room with a C13 pointed window with a single chamfered rear arch,
opposite this is a matching single chamfered opening, now leading
to a later room. At the corner of the window wall is a turning
stair, the threshold to which is 4'0" below the current floor
level, opposite this is a segmental headed opening with single
chamfer. The room has a C14 quadripartite vault, comprising 2
hollow mouldings and a central filleted roll moulding. The ribs
spring from triple shafted responds with naturalistic foliage and
meet at a central boss which has since disintegrated. On the
inner eastern wall the responds support an arch with 2 filleted
roll mouldings with central roll. In the floor beneath the
suspended timber floor is a small area of plain floor tiles,
black and yellow. In the hall of the current farmhouse the
moulded reveal of a large window can be seen. In the bedroom
over, the upper part of a reticulated traceried window is
preserved, and the top is visible in the roof space over. The
C19 roof reuses C17 timbers. Grange de Lings is a corruption of
Grange de Barlings Abbey, and the medieval work is an important
survival of a grange building, the function of which is not as
yet understood. The monks were granted a free warren in 1253 and
the grange is mentioned in patent rolls in 1325. Source: F. L.
Baker, the History of Riseholme. 1956.
Listing NGR: SK9869877284
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.