History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter

A Grade II Listed Building in Aisthorpe, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3101 / 53°18'36"N

Longitude: -0.5812 / 0°34'52"W

OS Eastings: 494626

OS Northings: 380176

OS Grid: SK946801

Mapcode National: GBR SZC5.Y4

Mapcode Global: WHGHS.12H7

Entry Name: Church of St Peter

Listing Date: 30 November 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359462

English Heritage Legacy ID: 196967

Location: Aisthorpe, West Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN1

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

Civil Parish: Aisthorpe

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: The Spring Line Group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Brattleby

Listing Text

SK 98 SW AISTHORPE CHURCH LANE

1/3 Church of
St. Peter
30-11-66
G.V. II

Parish church. 1867 by T. C. Hine of Nottingham. Rock faced
limestone ashlar and dressings, bands of contrasting red
sandstone. Plain tiled roofs with raised stone coped gables and
decorative kneelers, crosses fleury above. Built in a C13 style.
West tower, nave, chancel, north porch and vestry. West tower of
3 stages with angled buttresses,paired pointed lights with
circular openings to tympana, nook shafts on all 4 faces of
belfry stage. In the west wall a wheel window with moulded
surround and lobes separated by colonettes. Above is a single
lancet. broach spire with large coursed lucarnes in principal
directions having stone gables with floriate terminals. Gabled
north porch with pointed headed doorway and inside a single
chamfered doorway without capitals. Paired quatrefoil lights to
side walls. North nave wall has 2 paired lights with plate
tracery and 4 quatrefoil vents at wall head. North wall of
chancel has 2 lancets. Chancel east window of 3 lights of plate
tracery with octofoil over. South chancel window is a paired
light with plate tracery and the attached vestry has a single
lancet east light and a shaped ashlar chimney stack to the south
west angle. The south nave wall has a single 3 light window with
octofoil in the head and two 2 light windows with cinquefoils
over; 4 quatrefoil vents to top of wall. All windows have
hoodmoulds, human head stops and arches in alternating limestone
and red sandstone. Interior. Tall double chamfered tower arch
dies into imposts. Inscribed chancel arch, also double chamfered
and stilted with octagonal capitals and responds. In the chancel
is a painted wooden ceiling having hobnail decorated cornices and
corbels. Behind the altar a reredos with 5 small. arches
springing fron marble colonettes. Trefoil headed gabled aumbry
surmounted by cross in the north wall. Oak chancel and tower
screens in the Perpendicular style. Octagonal font with floriate
decorated panels and fine brass mounted cover. 3 brass 2 tier
candelabra. Other fittings all 1867.


Listing NGR: SK9462680176

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.