History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Peter and St Paul

A Grade II Listed Building in Belchford, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2599 / 53°15'35"N

Longitude: -0.0615 / 0°3'41"W

OS Eastings: 529407

OS Northings: 375411

OS Grid: TF294754

Mapcode National: GBR XZ0R.H3

Mapcode Global: WHHKC.1B06

Entry Name: Church of St Peter and St Paul

Listing Date: 14 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359659

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195889

Location: Belchford, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN9

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Belchford

Built-Up Area: Belchford

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Hemingby group

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Belchford

Listing Text

BELCHFORD MAIN STREET
TF 27 NE (south side)

6/7 Church of St.Peter
14.9.66 and St.Paul

II

Parish church. 1781, chancel mostly rebuilt 1859-60, nave mostly
rebuilt and tower reduced in 1909. Green sandstone rubble
blocks, some red brick patching, limestone dressings. Plain tile
and slate roofs with stone coped gables with kneelers and east
cross finial. West tower truncated to form lean-to porch, nave,
chancel with south vestry. West tower of 1781 truncated to lean-
to porch in 1909 with C18 semi-circular headed west doorway with
raised keystone, plain fanlight and panelled door. Small wooden,
gabled bellcote above porch to left. To the right, fragments of
limestone rubble and red brick patching, including one whorl
moulded fragment. Nave with plinth and red brick dentillated
eaves. North side with 2 pointed windows, both with 2 cusped,
ogee headed lights, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Chancel
with plinth and single north lancet. East end flanked by 2 stage
diagonal buttresses with moulded string course running beneath
east window of a cluster of three lancets with nook shafts, hood
mould and label stops. South side of chancel with single lancet.
Gabled vestry of 1859-60 projects to the south with tall
octagonal stone chimney. East side with rectangular window
containing a cusped ogee headed light. South end with single
tall rectangular window containing cusped, ogee headed light and
hood mould. West side with pointed doorway with continuous
moulded surround and plank door. South side of nave with 3
pointed windows, each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights,
reticulated tracery and hood mould. Church interior with C19
chancel arch with pointed, moulded head of 2 orders, semi-
circular responds with moulded capitals and hood mould. South
vestry with rectangular opening into chancel with small organ
inserted. East window with nook shafts, moulded heads to lights
and head label stops. C19 roofs, that in chancel with painted
decoration. C15 octagonal font with panel tracery on bowl and
pedestal. Ornate C19 altar and reredos with painted panels
depicting Virgin and child and apostles. C19 pulpit of 2
panelled sides, one containing relief of Magi with Virgin and
child. Bell dated 1683. C20 chairs.


Listing NGR: TF2940775411

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.