History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Vedest

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tathwell, Lincolnshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3268 / 53°19'36"N

Longitude: -0.0187 / 0°1'7"W

OS Eastings: 532051

OS Northings: 382924

OS Grid: TF320829

Mapcode National: GBR XY9Z.R5

Mapcode Global: WHHJZ.PM8Z

Entry Name: Church of St Vedest

Listing Date: 9 March 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1359666

English Heritage Legacy ID: 195917

Location: Tathwell, East Lindsey, Lincolnshire, LN11

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

Civil Parish: Tathwell

Traditional County: Lincolnshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lincolnshire

Church of England Parish: Raithby St Peter

Church of England Diocese: Lincoln

Find accommodation in
Louth

Listing Text

TATHWELL CHURCH LANE
TF 38 SW (south side)

4/33 Church of
9.3.67 St. Vedest

G.V. II*

Parish church. Early C12, late C18, 1857. Green sandstone
rubble, red brick and with limestone ashlar dressings. Slate
roofs with stone coped east gable and chevroned brick eaves.
West tower, nave with south porch, polygonal chancel with north
vestry. Broad, squat west tower of 4 stages with the lower 3 and
a half meters of C12 sandstone with plinth to north and west
doorway with C19 pointed head with fanlight, moulded wooden
doorcase and panelled door. Red brick above with ashlar string
course and bell openings on 3 sides each with segmental head,
plain brick surround and shuttering. Brick and stone battlements
above. Broad plinth of rubble runs round entire church with red
brick above. North side with 2 C18 semi-circular windows
gothicized in 1857, now both with a pointed head, 2 pointed
lights with inner ogee headed lights, mouchettes, hood mould and
head,label stops. Blind semi-circular headed C18 opening to
east. North vestry of 1857 with rectangular window to the north
with 3 Caernarvon head lights and east doorway with Caernarvon
head, continuous chamfered surround and plank door. Polygonal
chancel with blank north side and C19 east window with pointed
head, 2 semi-circular headed lights with tracery, hood mould and
grotesque head label stops. South side of chancel with pointed
C19 window with 2 semi-circular headed lights, tracery, hood
mould and head label stops. South side of nave is defined by
pilaster buttresses. 2 pointed C19 windows each with 2 cusped
lights, tracery and hood mould which runs into a flat ashlar
string course on each side. Gabled timber frame porch of 1857
with herringbone brick nogging, studded gabled lintel inscribed:
"Keep thy foot when thou goest into the house of God". Porch
interior with flanking stone benches, and C19 doorway with
pointed, chamfered doorway with hood mould, label stop heads and
double plank doors. Early C12 interior tower arch with triple
reponds with scalloped capitals, semi-circular head of 2 orders,
possibly rebuilt at a later date. Late C18 chancel arch with
semi-circular head flanked by single semi-circular headed
openings. C19 roofs, altar rail, pulpit, lecturn, choir stalls
and pews. Fine alabaster standing wall monument to Edward Hanby,
died 1626; of 4 tiers, with Hanby himself kneeling before a
prieu-dieu, at the top, flanked by skulls and hourglass; with a
broken segmental pediment above with cartouche and coats of arms.
His heirs, John and Elizabeth Chaplin kneel below on each side of
prieu-dieu with broken pediment above, and 7 daughters and 6 sons
kneeling below, various inscriptions on black marble. Fragment
of Anglo-Saxon interlace tomb slab to left. Grey and white
marble monument to Thomas Chaplin, died 1747, by Hoare of Bath,
with woman mourning over an urn with a winged hourglass above.
2 monuments of white marble ovals on black marble fields to
Frederick Chaplin, died 1863, and Charles Chaplin, died 1835, and
family. Grey and white marble monument with urn and palms to
Elizabeth Chaplin, died 1833.


Listing NGR: TF3205182924

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.